PDA

View Full Version : problem with evolution wrapper script

daneel101
12-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Hi,

Just tried to klikinstall evolution in my wrapper. I got several gnome library-missing errors but I got the libraries from my mandrake installation and copied them to /home/knoppix/evolution/usr/lib and evolution started up okay. However, the application was installed in /home/knoppix/evolution, and the wrapper script is written to wrap the software from that path. This conflicts with the operation of evolution itself, which stores its config in ~/evolution, and can't because that dir is occupied. Changing the klik installed directory doesn't help, because the wrapper is written to operate from ~/evolution. I tried to make sense of the wrapper script but I don't know much about shell-scripting, so couldn't figure out how to edit it accordingly

Can probono or anybody please guide me as to how I should change the wrapper to get it to work?

Thanks,
AR

probono
12-04-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi,

your post is extremely interesting for me because I was almost sure that Evolution was one of the very few apps that couldn't be made run with klik (because it uses gconf, which is a bloated mess).

Just rename the directory ~/evolution to something else, the wrapper will continue working.

In case you succeed (which I doubt due to gconf) please describe step-by-step what you did, then I'll try to follow your steps.

Greetings,
probono

daneel101
12-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Hi,

your post is extremely interesting for me because I was almost sure that Evolution was one of the very few apps that couldn't be made run with klik (because it uses gconf, which is a bloated mess).

Just rename the directory ~/evolution to something else, the wrapper will continue working.

In case you succeed (which I doubt due to gconf) please describe step-by-step what you did, then I'll try to follow your steps.

Greetings,
probono

That's exactly what I did first. It didn't work. In the beginning, evolution tried to start up, but a window opened up with an error message saying that the ~/evolution directory (where evolution stores the settings for the remote email server(s) and the downloaded emails, signatures and other miscellaneous config stuff) is not empty and evolution cannot continue (this was because ~/evolution actually contained the binaries of the app itself. So I moved the binaries, the libraries it depended on, and the wrapper script to another directory and ran the wrapper from there. Evolution crashed saying "evolution not found", or something. This is why I thought that perhaps the "wrapper" needed to be edited or something. I'll send detailed messages the next time I boot into knoppix.
Anyways, I did not get any "gconfd" related errors, so perhaps the gconf issue you mentioned may not be a big deal. I'll let you know within 24 hrs ( I put a memo entry in my "korganizer" in casse I forget).

Regards,
AR

daneel101
12-05-2004, 02:10 AM
OK, so I booted into knoopix with my persistent home and did the following:

Ran software & wrapper script from evolution directory:

Error message: The directory '/home/knoppix/evolution' exists but is not the Evolution Directory. Please move it in order to allow installation of the Evolution user files.

So I moved it to /home/knoppix/temp
Ran ~/temp/wrapper

<Gnome-like Window pops up>
Error:Cannot access the Ximian Evolution shell
<Crash!>

What to do? Is this because of the gconf thing you mentioned? (doesn't look like it, bcoz without the basic gnome libraries, the gnome window wouldn't pop up at all, right?)

probono
12-07-2004, 12:37 PM
As of now, I still think the problem with both Evolution and gnumeric is gconf - I didn't get these two apps to work with klik yet.
Greetings,
probono

daneel101
12-07-2004, 12:53 PM
As of now, I still think the problem with both Evolution and gnumeric is gconf - I didn't get these two apps to work with klik yet.
Greetings,
probono

OK, good luck with that. Hope you can come up with a solution. Perhaps a stripped down version of gconf that runs whenever evolution runs or something.

AR

probono
12-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Both gnumeric and bluefish are working now, and evolution is almost there, too (cosmetic glitches).

However, you must run from Live CD, or your user must be in the "sudoers" file, or root must create a symlink in order to use any of those three apps.