PDA

View Full Version : Captive NTFS !*#!!!

masimar
12-04-2004, 04:06 AM
I thought I'd start a new thread on this most annoying subject. I used the following recipe to mount the partition and my error changed from "Cannot write" (to the partition) to "Access Denied." This is the frist time I'm actually encouraged by being denied access. Since I'm not linux bright, I thought I'd stop making myself crazy and ask if I'm missing something about permissions. I created a captive user (3.6) and tried assigning the Id from 3.4 (108 for user, 116 for group) suggested by someone. I let knoppix assign its own id another time (1001 and 1002), and finally ignored the user yet another time. I added knoppix user to captive and root, and added captive user to knoppix and root. Then I cursed a little.

One thing that bothers is me is that my one ntfs partition (not bootable) has some strange thing happening. All the folders are read only. I can change that all I want, and yet they remain read only. All the files are archived. From knoppix I tried writing to the root directory, so that shouldn't have anything to do with the write problem, but I wonder if I got some kind of hybrid between linux and nt permissions. Did linux interfere and change the ntfs permissions, or was there a problem with nt all along. I just don't feel confident about this partition. If anyone else can shed light on this, I would appreciate it. Of course, I'll try the latest suggestion in the mean time.

eco2geek.
I noticed the last sentence in the last quote I posted and wondered if maybe it was the reason your changes weren't commited.
"Lastly, REMEMBER to unmount the drive before quitting or your changes may be lost and not copied from the sandbox data area to be written to the hard drive."

# with the following command you prepare your knoppix 3.4 (and higher) machine to mount an NTFS partition readwrite. This command has to be executed only once:
sudo captive-install-acquire
Press the ``forward'' button twice to start scanning your harddisk for native ntfs drivers. After a few minutes, the program may crash (i.e., the program crashes on my machine), but this does not seem to have an impact at all...
# once captive-install-acquire has finished, you can prepare the /etc/fstab to include a specific item for your ntfs partition in rw mode:
sudo captive-install-fstab -v --add
# you can now mount the partition in readwrite mode with:
sudo mount /mnt/captive-noname

masimar
12-04-2004, 04:13 AM
eco2geek,
Sorry, I read your last post without thinking about it. You are aware of unmounting the drive, and I think you
gave me the answer about permissions. When I get the energy, I'm going to try it. Thanks.