PDA

View Full Version : Adaptec Firewire/usb combo (AUA 1411)

asearle
12-04-2004, 01:03 PM
I am trying to get a combined Firewire/USB pcmcia adaptor working on my laptop (knoppix 3.4, harddisk installed) and, although the card recognises Firewire, it doesn't detect USB.

When I run root shell: cat /proc/scsi/scsi ... I get to see my internal CD drive and the Firewire peripheral (an MO drive) but nothing else.

If I start Windows (urrgghhh), the USB is detected.

Am I asking too much of Linux/Knoppix? Is the Firewire conflicting with the USB? Or is there a way to get this working? Should I maybe try a newer version of Knoppix?

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Regards,
Alan Searle

PS: When I use my other (no-name) USB 2.0 pcmcia card that detects my USB peripherals no problem.

asearle
12-05-2004, 12:15 PM
I have been diagnosing this problem and it seems to be that the two systems (usb and firewire) are competing for the same IRQs when the system starts. Indeed, in dmesg I see that the usb controller (2 ports) is correctly recognised but then seems to be overrided by the firewire unit which loads next.

I have fished around in log files and in the Info and control centres and can see information (e.g. the firewire adaptor is registered correctly as a PCI device) but am not sure how I can change the configuration (the IRQ?) so that both adaptors work.

Any tips would be a great help.

Regards,
Alan Searle