PDA

View Full Version : Basic Quesions on IP address assigning & raspppoe

dumbdude
12-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Ive been a windows user all my life :?
Can you give me a step by step on howto assign ip, subnet,etc
I use raspppoe dialer to connect to my isp , also please do tell me how to use that.

Im using knoppix bootable cdrom.

thanks

Harry Kuhman
12-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Can you give me a step by step on howto assign ip, subnet,etc
I use raspppoe dialer to connect to my isp , also please do tell me how to use that.
I can answer questions about the ip, etc. settings. You can do that with netcardconfig. What your settings are will be determined by your ISP. I can't tell you anything about raspppoe. In fact, let me show how little I know about it - is it for DSL? The pppoe in the name makes me think so. The thing is, I'm a DSL user, but I've never fooled with any of the pppoe software in Knoppix. If you use an ethernet connection and get one of the very inexpensive DSL/cable home routers then you will not need to either. These devices take care of all the connecting to the ISP for you, and give you a local network that Knoppix just recognizes and gets all of it's settings for automagically by DHCP right when it boots. The router also gives you the safety of a firewall before the signal even gets into your computer - makes you much safer from attacks and exploits. Yes, Knoppix can certainly run without this hardware. And I expect others will talk you through doing that. But there are a lot of advantages of using one of these little routers, and they are available at bargan prices, at least consider getting one.

dumbdude
12-04-2004, 03:19 PM
thanks for the prompt reply harry.

im new to linux & knoppix , and due to the fact im used to windows , CLI is a little intimidating , is ther any way i can point clink & assign ip , as i do in windows ?

raspppoe is just a dialer that i use to dial in to my isps server.
all in all its a big lan , there is no dsl or anything of that sort here. its pretty simple.
Anyway i saw ppp config utility in knoppiz which might help me.

Nonrelated information
Only when i am in a particular ip range can i dial into my isp .

Harry Kuhman
12-04-2004, 03:38 PM
It's the blind leading the blind here. Netcard config is a GUI application, it can be run from the Knoppix menu or from the shell (linux-speak for cli) by the command netcardconfig. The first question asked is "use dhcp?". If you say no it asks for the info.

Now, my dumb questions: you keep using the word "dialer". Are you on dial-up? I'm not at all understanding what your all in all its a big lan statement is telling me. Are you perhaps at a school or some other place where you really would have a big lan? Did someone give you an IP address that they have told you needs to be put in your system before connecting (if so you should be able to enter it and the other related info with netcardconfig, but them I'm totally confused why you would use anything with pppoe in it's name).

dumbdude
12-04-2004, 04:10 PM
lol... now ive confused you

one by one
I will try the command netcardconfig.from shell once im in knoppix again (im on xp)

Im in india. :lol: the way we have interet here is ... through lan. a really huge lan (1500ppl spread around many miles)
raspppoe - PPP over Ethernet protocol

btw..i googled around a bit

& found this i have the same lancard

> Today I installed an ethernet card. Unfortunately that card isn't found
> by
> netcardconfig. How can I make the system find the card? How do I
> configure it
> now?
>
> The chipset is a realtek 8139 and well recognized when I run Knoppix
> from CD!
>