PDA

View Full Version : Installing programs....Help

MinoX
12-04-2004, 09:02 PM
How do i install programs?
I downloaded a .rpm file....should i open it with KPackage?
Then to the left i click Install then i get a new window and click Install again.Then it asks for Password:
and i type my root password and i only get this messange :

<home/knoppix/Desktop/Winamp-0.a1-1.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
rpm: To install rpm packages on Debian systems, use alien. See README.Debian.
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
RESULT=1

What to do!!?!?!?!?

Markus
12-04-2004, 09:34 PM
If you need to install from a rpm use alien as the output said:
alien packagename.rpm (gets you a .deb)
dpkg -i package.deb (installs it)

Otherwise you should use apt: http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/apt-get-intro/index-apt-get-intro.html.en
Short version:
dselect update
apt-cache search winamp this gives xmms in the output which is basically winamp for linux and is already installed in knoppix.

MinoX
12-04-2004, 09:36 PM
i have never used linux befor...total noob on linux so i dont know how to use the commands..? and where inside knoppix can i find alien?

MinoX
12-04-2004, 09:43 PM
i tryed to type alien in Shell-Konsole and i got a menue with commands an i tryed to type : alien file:/home/knoppix/Desktop
and
alien file:/home/knoppix/Desktop/Winamp-0.a1-1.i386.rpm
But i only get :
Must run as root to convert to deb format (or you may use fakeroot).

Markus
12-04-2004, 09:43 PM
First lf all, are you running knoppix from the CD or did you do a hd-install?
If from cd about the only way to install progs is http://klik.berlios.de/

alien is a shell command which means you open a terminal, monitor icon on the kicker (taskbar) and type alien packagename.rpm , you may need to become root (admin) for this so type su to become root, and when done type Ctrl-d to exit from root user.
Then type ls -l to see the package.deb file created and in install (as root) with dpkg -i packagename.deb

If you want to read some tutorials on linux general try some of these: http://www.linuxlinks.com/Beginners/

CrashedAgain
12-04-2004, 11:14 PM
How do i install programs?
I downloaded a .rpm file....

Assuming you are working from a HD install, it is MUCH easier to use Debian packages than try to convert rpms. There are .deb files for almost everything, don't convert rpm's unless you absolutely have to.

Here's a brief overview of installing packages in a Debian based system (I've posted this so often now I have it on a sticky note on the desktop for next time).:

Actual package installation is done by dpkg. This is a text based application. For an already downloaded package you could do 'dpkg -i <path & package name>'. But this may fail because there may be dependencies which dpkg does not know how to find and has not been told to install.

So the next level is apt-get which will search the net for the packages it needs (including dependency packages), download and install them. It uses dpkg to do the actual install and maintains a file called /etc/apt/sources.list to know where to search for packages. This file must be updated regularly as packages get moved around in the internet repositories. This is done with the command 'apt-get update'. Debian now recommends 'aptitude' which is similal to apt-get but adds a few features. Almost everybody just uses apt-get anyway.

But to use apt-get you must know what packages are available, so you will need a 'package browser list.

The most basic of these is dselect, which is text based and not overly user friendly. It also maintains a package available database file which must be updated regularly with 'dselect update'. I've been told that dselect update will update both the dselect database and the apt-get sources.list so it is preferable to use this instead of the 'apt-get update' command which only updates sources.list.

More user friendly alternatives for seaching for packages are the gui based applications Kpackage and Synaptic. Both of these provide information on the packages available and can download and install the package.

Dselect, Kpackage and Synaptic all use apt-get to do the actual downloading & installing.

Debian based systems must use either Debian packages or applications compiled from source. To install an RPM package, first convert it to a .deb using 'alien'.
ie: alien -d <rpm packagename>

So, for an already download package, you can try dpkg -i <package> but be prepared for dependency problems which you will have to solve yourself by manually tacking down and installing any required dependencies.

Better way is to use apt-get & let it redo the download:

First, you must become 'root'. Permissions are a big thing in Linux, only root (administrator level permissions) is allowed to install things. So, type 'su' to become root. Then do 'dselect update'. Usually the first time it is run it will need to download quite a bit & some of the downloads may fail. If this happens, just run the command again, eventually it will get all the data it needs.

then 'apt-get install firefox'. It should download the application & all required dependencies & install the application.

Selecting 'firefox' from Kpackage & following the install procedure (check mark & install marked, etc) should do the same thing. But you do have to 'dselect update' first. Kpackage is going to ask you for a root password so you will have to set one before you run it. Open a terminal & type 'sudo passwd', then enter your new root password.