PDA

View Full Version : Belkin F5D7010 and Knoppix 3.6

csogilvie
12-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Hi,

I was trying to use Knoppix 3.6 on my laptop today, and following the instructions at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14206 I maanged to follow the instructions.

Unfortunately, when I carry out step 5, instead of getting the success message my Knoppix CD just hangs; I can't move the mouse cursor or anything. The clock in the bottom right hand corner also stops updating. As soon as the power light switches on, on the PCMCIA Nic, this occurs.

Does anyone have any idea whats happening, or how I can provide more information to help trackdown this issue.

Thanks,

Colin

grant_vallance
12-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi,

I was trying to use Knoppix 3.6 on my laptop today, and following the instructions at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14206 I maanged to follow the instructions.

Unfortunately, when I carry out step 5, instead of getting the success message my Knoppix CD just hangs; I can't move the mouse cursor or anything. The clock in the bottom right hand corner also stops updating. As soon as the power light switches on, on the PCMCIA Nic, this occurs.

Does anyone have any idea whats happening, or how I can provide more information to help trackdown this issue.

Thanks,

Colin

While I wrote the instructions you followed; I am no expert, and have no idea what could be going wrong. The only thing I can think of is to eliminate whether it is the script or ndiswrapper that is the problem. To do this you need to load ndiswrapper manually. Its quite simple. As root in a console type:

1. ndiswrapper -i <directory-where-driver-is>

In my example this command is: ndiswrapper -i /mnt/hda1/Belkin/bcmwl5.inf However, if you have trouble with this step I can help.

2. modprobe ndiswrapper

Now if this works OK; there is some issue with the script and your system, and you can carry on.

Let me know how you get on. However, if it hangs again, its beyond my expertise.

Regards,

Grant D. Vallance

csogilvie
12-05-2004, 10:18 PM
That, unfortunately, is what I've already tried. However, I tried it again, and it still hung :(

killem
12-14-2004, 04:04 AM
I too am new to knoppix and linux in general ...and am having the same problems with my Belkin F5D7010 ....as the Laptop boots all go's well till i get to the pcmcia starting up if the card is in the slot the lappy will freeze and it's hold down the power button to fix it (reboots)

I'm getting a error failed to load p80211.o.
module p80211 not found

If the card is out it all loads up everything is good ...till i push the card in then it freezes again.

Any help on this would be great .
Though i am still working on it so i will keep ya posted.

Cheers

killem
12-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Ok i've now been able to get my belkin F5D7010 to load without freezing up ....i just removed the belkin driver that i installed of the disc and install broadcom ones....so now it boots .... i modprobe ndiswrapper
the light go's on ....but thats it, still no net ...least now it's not freezing :) ...ii have just found out that my card is rev 3 so ...i will be removing the newer drivers for the dell ones... see how that go's

Cheers

OK a update here ......the newer dell drivers for me rev 3 didn't work so i've gone back to me broadcom 1's least i get to see a pretty light come on ....helps me believe i'm moving in the right direction :D

killem
12-15-2004, 02:40 AM
OK well i can do iwlist wlan0 scanning
and see Cell 01 ESSID Wlan
Mode Ad- Hoc
At this point i got really excited i hit the net button and 4 about 2 sec's had net connect ....not sure why ...cause as i discovered a bit later from doing a iwconfig then a iwlist wlan0 scanning ...i could see that it was my laptop card that was making the Ad-Hoc cell 01 i could see

So now i know it workz
where do i go from here ......if i change the essid to WLAN (my wireless lan ssid)the scanning returns with nothing ...if i change the mode to Managed the scanning returns nothing .....if i leave it all as auto it go's into Ad-hoc mode (not good)

Is there anyway to assign the accesspoint from the router/accesspoint to my wlan0 settings??? if that makes sense and i don't mean thru essid eg : iwconfig wlan0 essid (bluh)

csogilvie
12-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Hi,

Where did you get the Broadcom Drivers?

csogilvie
12-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Right, I found the drivers... and I'm now stuck somewhere else. I can get the Wireless LAN card to find the network if I do `iwlist wlan0 scnaning`but it can't see the network if I do DHCP, or assign it an IP manually. The only thing I can think of is that I have WEP enabled on the router (Wireless Access Point too) - would this affect it?

grant_vallance
12-17-2004, 10:19 AM
Right, I found the drivers... and I'm now stuck somewhere else. I can get the Wireless LAN card to find the network if I do `iwlist wlan0 scnaning`but it can't see the network if I do DHCP, or assign it an IP manually. The only thing I can think of is that I have WEP enabled on the router (Wireless Access Point too) - would this affect it?

Yes it would!

I have managed to troubleshoot a number of wireless connections and encryption incompatibilities has been at the root of a number of them.

Its important to make sure that both ends are without encryption. In one case, successfully resolved, it was not until the person reset their router to factory defaults that he got his network running. (This was under MEPIS but using ndiswrapper, so the principle ought to be the same.

HTH

Cheers,

Grant D. Vallance

gastrobol
12-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Hi

I am new to linux.
Am having the same problem of the PC freezing on trying to install the belkin drivers in Ndiswrapper.

Please could you direct me to where the broad com drivers are?
Broadcom website does not have drivers for the Fd5 7000 chipset :cry:

gasrobol

killem
12-22-2004, 03:42 PM
Hi

I am new to linux.
Am having the same problem of the PC freezing on trying to install the belkin drivers in Ndiswrapper.

Please could you direct me to where the broad com drivers are?
Broadcom website does not have drivers for the Fd5 7000 chipset :cry:

gasrobol

Sure go here http://www.users.on.net/~hegan1/
look for the belkin3 folder ...let me know when ya got it
:lol: :lol:

gastrobol
12-23-2004, 12:10 AM
Thanks V much for that link,killem.
I manged to find another link to these drivers on the NDSIWRAPPER site.They have links to Dell drivers and broadcom(from HP site) drivers for this card.PLUS a lot of helpful info on the 7000 cards.
I managed to load the DELL drivers sucessfully :o .
I have not got any further yet--need to find a way to get WAP encryption.

gastrobol

gastrobol
12-24-2004, 01:07 AM
Hi

I have sucessfully got my broadband connection running :lol:
Many thanks to Grant for your remarkable posts which helped a lot.
My main difficulty was in getting the right drivers as the ones on the CD were not suitable(?too old?).
After that the procedure in Grants's post worked as he has outlined.

Gastrobol

csogilvie
12-30-2004, 11:41 PM
I am still having problems with this unfortunately - when I run `iwconfig wlan0 essid belkin54g` I get reurned to the root prompt, but the essid is not set.

Anyone with any more advice?

Thanks,

Colin

killem
01-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Well i finally got it all going .......... ok first off started in 2.4 kernel then d/led the dell drivers (again) http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R76521na.EXE ....note here if you have already install knoppix to your hdd open then with wine then get to them from there ..... i then did the ndiswrapper configuration pointed it to the dell/drivers/R76521/IR/bcmw15a.inf ...that went fine npz there .... then did wavelan configuration put in the essid ..etc then did in console iwconfig to see if it was all good then did iwlist wlan0 scanning then did then Network card configuration did the DHCP broadcast yes then all good comes back with ok then away i went :)
arhhhhh finally now ive installed knoppix on my pc downstairs

cheers guys for everyones help
Killem[/code]

grant_vallance
01-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi

I have sucessfully got my broadband connection running :lol:
Many thanks to Grant for your remarkable posts which helped a lot.
My main difficulty was in getting the right drivers as the ones on the CD were not suitable(?too old?).
After that the procedure in Grants's post worked as he has outlined.

Gastrobol

You are welcome :D

People such as yourself saying, "thank-you," motivates me to help and keep helping.

Cheers,

Grant D. Vallance