PDA

View Full Version : this is what i got can someone help me?

cpc
12-05-2004, 02:46 AM
ok i have a win 95 with 64mb of ram, 5gig hd i think, 100mhz processor. wont boot from cd know mater what. i have knoppix 3.6 live cd. it also wont boot from network it will only boot from hd and floppy.no usb. and i want to have my own server using appache. what can i do to install knoppix on this computer so i will be able to same files of with you cant do running it from a cd. plz help me!!!!???? :cry:

thanks, cpc 8)

OErjan
12-05-2004, 10:29 AM
here are a qoute from http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15293& .
where rrfish72 posts some help on getting Knoppix going, hope it helps.

If your BIOS does not support el torito booting from CD, you can create
two bootable floppy disks by issuing (from Knoppix running on a different
machine) the command "mkbootfloppy", which will create a bootable
Kernel-disk plus a disk containing the initial ramdisk, which will be
prompted for at boottime.

Harry Kuhman
12-05-2004, 10:54 AM
If your BIOS does not support el torito booting from CD, you can create
two bootable floppy disks by issuing (from Knoppix running on a different
machine) the command "mkbootfloppy", which will create a bootable
Kernel-disk plus a disk containing the initial ramdisk, which will be
prompted for at boottime.

Or, if your BIOS does not support booting from CD (and even if it does), you can use the simplier and more powerful boot manager programs that will let you boot any CD, not just Knoppix. Good choices are Smart Boot Manager or XOSL. XOSL is a bit more powerful, better looking, includes Ranish Partition Manager, and (IMHO) somewhat easier to use (although it does require the ability to follow instructions). On the downside it is larger, too large to just install in the MBR block, it requires either a small partition or can share partition space with another OS. Smart Boot Manager works wonders too. Is small enough to fit in the MBR space. And with either of these installed on your hard drive you can boot from floppy, hard drive or CD, all without ever having to mess with the boot order in your BIOS (just leave it set to boot from hard drive and the boot manager will start).

With either of these you install right to hard disk and then never touch a floppy. The XOSL install is a bit more complex; with Smart Boot Manager you just run a one line command from the shell in your running OS and it's installed and ready to go the next time you boot.

cpc
12-05-2004, 05:17 PM
i tryed that and it didnt work i can figure them out and i cant find the smart boot manger at all. i have it in a file labeled "sbootmgr.dsk" but i cant get it to run from the floppy at all whated i do wrong.

thanks,cpc

firebyrd10
12-05-2004, 07:53 PM
i tryed that and it didnt work i can figure them out and i cant find the smart boot manger at all. i have it in a file labeled "sbootmgr.dsk" but i cant get it to run from the floppy at all whated i do wrong.

thanks,cpc

That might be a disk image.

Search for

rawrite
on google to write it to a disk.

mkyb14
12-05-2004, 11:24 PM
100mhz processor .... ew. for 100$ you could upgrade to a celeron 1ghz. think about it....

cpc
12-06-2004, 12:49 AM
ok itz booting into the smart boot manager. but when i goto cd and hit enter or boot ot has an error.

"disk error! 0xAA" but itz not even spining the disk.

thanks,cpc 8)

Harry Kuhman
12-06-2004, 12:58 AM
i tryed that and it didnt work i can figure them out and i cant find the smart boot manger at all. i have it in a file labeled "sbootmgr.dsk" but i cant get it to run from the floppy at all whated i do wrong. thanks,cpc

Not quite sure what to make of
i can figure them out and i cant find the smart boot manger at all. What can you figure out, and how can you not find SBM at all? A quick Google search will take you here (http://btmgr.webframe.org/index.php3?body=download.html). From there, download the DOS Excutable file. Run it from the command line, look at the options, and run it again with the right options.

cpc
12-06-2004, 05:07 AM
i tryed that and it didnt work i can figure them out and i cant find the smart boot manger at all. i have it in a file labeled "sbootmgr.dsk" but i cant get it to run from the floppy at all whated i do wrong. thanks,cpc

Not quite sure what to make of
i can figure them out and i cant find the smart boot manger at all. What can you figure out, and how can you not find SBM at all? A quick Google search will take you here (http://btmgr.webframe.org/index.php3?body=download.html). From there, download the DOS Excutable file. Run it from the command line, look at the options, and run it again with the right options.

ok i have it now read my last post on this page. 8)
thanks,cpc 8)

OErjan
12-06-2004, 05:40 PM
that might happen sometimes with smart. just try a few times (by trying i mean hitting the enter key), perhaps re-incerting the cd and try again a few times (let it stop spinning before you hit enter...)

cpc
12-08-2004, 12:20 AM
tryed that and it still wont work.

thanks,cpc 8)

Harry Kuhman
12-08-2004, 12:45 AM
This ain't rocket science.

Go here (http://btmgr.webframe.org/index.php3?body=download.html).

Get the file3.6 release 4 sbminst.exe (DOS executable). This is a direct link to it, but you really should visit the website (http://btmgr.webframe.org/3.6/sbminst.exe).

From DOS or a Windows DOS Shell, run sbminst.exe

Look at what the options are. Figure out what options you need for youir particular system. One likely option is

sbminst -d 128
You may want to add others, particularly if English isn't your language of choice.

Shut your system down, reboot, and SBM should come up and let you boot whatever you want.

If you have problems, post something more informative than
tryed that and it still wont work

cpc
12-09-2004, 01:43 AM
If you have problems, post something more informative than
tryed that and it still wont work[/quote]

ok itz booting into the smart boot manager. but when i goto cd and hit enter or boot it has an error.

"disk error! 0xAA" but itz not even spining the disk and i tryed 3 diferent cd drives that show up in 95 but wont boot in manager.

thanks,cpc 8)

Harry Kuhman
12-09-2004, 04:45 AM
ok itz booting into the smart boot manager. but when i goto cd and hit enter or boot it has an error.

"disk error! 0xAA" but itz not even spining the disk and i tryed 3 diferent cd drives that show up in 95 but wont boot in manager.
Forget about trying different drives. Do you know the CD is good? Sounds like it might not be. Have you ever been able to boot that CD on a different computer? Do you know the proper spelling of its and it's?

cpc
12-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Forget about trying different drives. Do you know the CD is good? Sounds like it might not be. Have you ever been able to boot that CD on a different computer? Do you know the proper spelling of its and it's?

Ok, The cd is good i used it on my XP Home computer and successfully booted Knoppix 3.6. Also i know how to use propper spelling i just never use it. :D

Thanks, CPC 8)

cpc
12-12-2004, 09:41 PM
anybody plz someone help me!!!!

thanks,cpc :cry: