PDA

View Full Version : have win4lin...where-did-it-go?

helios17
12-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Hey all,

I feel pretty dumb asking this but would feel dumber not knowing the answer. :oops: I bought a computer and assorted disks from a friend and it had fc2 on it. I wrote zeros to the drive and installed knoppix 3.6 and went through some of the software provided with it. It was all obviously burned from original and one of the copies was win4lin. It installed without a hitch but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to open it :oops: :oops: :oops: . except for the various folders, there is no trace of it.I have been thru every folder on this computer and I cant find a shortcut or executable. Does anyone here have any experience with win4lin?

thanx

helios

probono
12-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Hi,

win4lin needs a patched kernel, which Knoppix doesn't have afaik.
So in order to use win4lin, you would have to ask the manufacturer for a Knoppix kernel or to recompile the kernel yourself.

Greetings,
probono

helios17
12-14-2004, 04:23 PM
I dug around and figured it out...the fine people at netraverse told me I was pretty much out of luck...No, they are because I got my money back...no hassles, no arguements. they were good abouty giving me a refund. are you familiar with VMware? I have heard good and bad about it...mostly that it is very complex and slow? What do you think?

thanks

helios

probono
12-14-2004, 08:48 PM
VMware: similar issues there since it requires kernel modules to be compiled specifically for Knoppix. If you want to do that, it should work, but if you don't want to compile, then it won't.

Greetings,
probono

helios17
12-14-2004, 09:31 PM
i appreciate your time probono...looks like crossover office will do the heavy lifting for the few M$ apps I run.

helios