PDA

View Full Version : Wrong hardware detection: connecting the HD to an other pc

your_breakfast
12-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Hey!! I allready started a topic "Error message: Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem" in the General forum but if I will not be able to make it on that way.(I can only do this on Friday) I will have to try an other solution:
I've connected an old HD to my own pc, where knoppix runs fine. So I were able to "HD-install" knoppix on that old HD.
Now I connected that HD to an very old PC. (I could not boot knoppix from CD there. Watch my first topic) The Problem is: the knoppix does not detects the hardware from the old pc. It uses the old configuration from the pc, where I installed it, instead. For exmaple it says, that an GeForce VGA is there and sets the graphics driver to "nv" :lol: . But that's not the only wrong detected hardware I have (Monitor refresh rates, network adapter, sound card, fstab file, and so on). Help!! What am I doing wrong?? Any Ideas what to do next??

firebyrd10
12-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Depending on how you installed it, knoppiw should do some hardware detections.
But from the sounds of it you took the all Debain path.

Rather then going thourgh and changing everything, it might be easier to just reinstall. That way the settings will be tailored to that PC.

stuart_b
12-06-2004, 07:06 PM
"Depending on how you installed it, knoppix should do some hardware detections.
But from the sounds of it you took the all Debain path."

My impression is that even in the "Beginner" (not sure about "Knoppix-style", haven't ever done that one) install it doesn't do the full hardware detection at subsequent boots after installation. It does not seem to alter existing /etc/modules and /etc/modules-(kernel version) files or /etc/X11/XF86Config and /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 files. But if you delete them, it will re-run autodetection.

That is, of course if it isn't a "Debian-style" install which doesn't do hardware autodetection.

your_breakfast
12-06-2004, 07:42 PM
just reinstall

I can't. I get an error message about missing filesystem when try to boot from the CD :cry:

stuart_b
12-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Which kind of install did you do? (Or which version of Knoppix? If 3.3 or earlier, the install without hardware detection seems to have been the only option.) You say you can't do a reinstall, but can you do one by moving the hard drive like you originally did--and making sure this time you install so it will autodetect?

With the "Beginner" install, deleting the files I mentioned definitely works. I imaged several PCs using Symantec Ghost--so the detected hardware was as on the original system, and I couldn't get X Windows to work. Deleting those files and rebooting allowed me to get a GUI. If you are booting but not getting a GUI but not reverting back to command line, you can get a console by typing "linux 2" at the boot menu screen or <ctrl> + <alt> + F1 once it has booted should get you another terminal. Then you can delete them.

your_breakfast
12-07-2004, 12:56 PM
I installed 3.6 and selected Beginner