PDA

View Full Version : Samba on knoppix...

xaviers2002
12-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Does knoppix come with samba? Is it already included or requiers a download?
Thanks.

OErjan
12-06-2004, 05:52 PM
it is there. klick on the penguin in the lower left of the screen and you will find it in the menues that pop upp

xaviers2002
12-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Thank You but when it aks me for default name and password I believe is related to the computer I would like to see. correct? Or it's for knoppix?
Thanks

xaviers2002
12-07-2004, 01:46 AM
Now doesn't even open. I don't know what the problem is. :oops:

pureone
12-10-2004, 08:31 PM
ok this is what i do when setting up a smb server that i can connect to from a remote computer and download the entire hd.
(which is very handy when you mess up a windows machine and really need to get the data out of it)

first as said in the post above you click on the penguin were you would find the ssh server nx sever, network card config , etc etc.

turn on the smb server. it will ask you for a passwd for knoppix (knoppix is the username) enter your password.
it will then ask you if you want all the drives to be mount (/mnt/hda1 /mnt/hda2 etc etc ) click yes.
you may have to make it join a work group that your other computer belong to by default this is MSHOME or WORKGROUP
something like that. or sometimes nothing if you havent set one up. (now get the ip for knoppix)

now from your other computer im guessing xp go to "my computer" and type in \\ipforknoppix\ then press enter (of course were it says ipforknoppix\ you should put in the ip for knoppix)
it should then ask you for a username and password type in for username knoppix and for password what ever you set on the smb server at the start. then you should hopefully connect. if this does not work make sure they are both on the same subnet and are able to see each other you can test this with a ping from each machine.

sunpascal
12-18-2004, 04:49 AM
hi,

I have the same problem: I have one computer running windows and two other computers running knoppix form hard disk.
I want to have a small network to transfer files from one to another. However when I click on the samba icon in the knoppix menu, nothing happens.
What's wrong?

Pascal

shah
12-18-2004, 02:45 PM
However when I click on the samba icon in the knoppix menu, nothing happens.
I believed that one was meant for running from cd only.
If you install knoppix on hdd, you need to run samba server.
/etc/init.d/samba
or update-rc.d samba defaults ; so samba server can run everytime you boot.
Read how to set your samba:
http://www.samba.netfirms.com/sambconf.htm
http://static.kdenews.org/content/siddhuwarrier/20030610/
:D :D

kosmidd
12-20-2004, 11:55 AM
I have somewhat the same problem...
At least i believe so cause i am very very new.
unfortunatelly i something happened to the partition table of my laptop's hd
i have to recover some files from there in order to be... saved :)
I tried all the above but it seems hda2 (that i am intresting) don't have the correct permissions or something.
I start Samba, it asks for a password for user knoppix (i type a pass), and then askes to mount all (i click yes).
Then i try to open hda2 with konqueror and is sais : Error: Could not open folder /mnt/hda2
And (ofcourse) when i connect to the given ip i enter username knoppix and my password, i see as shared cdrom, hda2, hda5, knoppix and "Printers and Faxes"
I can only connect to //10.0.0.39/knoppix and not to //10.0.0.39/hda2 or hda5
I am very new to this and i can't understand what is going on.
Thanks all in advance ....:)

kosmidd
12-20-2004, 12:35 PM
It seems i did it but it can't copy folders or files with greek characters.
it doesn't even "sees" folders or files with greek letters....
A new problem rices

shah
12-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Try this one http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12379&highlight=samba

:D