PDA

View Full Version : Troubles booting

Bonden
12-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Hi there!
Been trying knoppix for a while but I can only boot knoppix with failsafe, if I try to boot in another way the computer crashes when Xserver is going to be launched, I get a green screen and can do nothing(I really don't know what X-Server is,:)im pretty new to both linux and knoppix). I noticed that if I boot with: knoppix 2, the computer doesn't crash but I don't know how to configure Xserver when I get to runlevel two. Any idees?
Thanx in advance!

CrashedAgain
12-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi there!
Been trying knoppix for a while but I can only boot knoppix with failsafe, if I try to boot in another way the computer crashes when Xserver is going to be launched, I get a green screen and can do nothing(I really don't know what X-Server is,:)im pretty new to both linux and knoppix). I noticed that if I boot with: knoppix 2, the computer doesn't crash but I don't know how to configure Xserver when I get to runlevel two. Any idees?
Thanx in advance!

X server is your graphic interface video server...creates graphics on the screen. Usually if X won't start it means it is unable to properly set up to your video card. Try booting using any of the cheatcodes which relate to video: screen= ;xserver= ; fb800x600 ;vga= ;etc. Also try the 'no's'; nodma, etc.