PDA

View Full Version : Cannot type anything at boot prompt !

markraem
12-05-2004, 09:31 PM
When I boot from CDROM (ISO-image V3.6) and I arrive at boot prompt I see the following :

I only have a white screen with at the bottom :

Press F2 or F3 for further help.
boot :

Note : I only see these 2 lines at the bottom of my screen. The upper part is a white screen.

However, when I want to type knoppix myconfig-scan, I do not see anything appearing at the boot prompt.
Pressing F2 or F3 : no response.
Typing anything else : Nothing at the screen.
Typing ENTER key : no response.

After a time, the system starts loading knoppix automatically. Once booted, I can work normally with Knoppix, meaning surfing, ....
I can also save my config to a floppy, but since I cannot type anything at boot prompt, I cannot use my saved settings, since I cannot type "myconfig =scan" .

When I take my CD to another machine, I can type at boot prompt and it works correctly, so my ISO image on my CD is correct.
I also have the same behaviour when I use Knoppix 3.4 CD-ISO-image.

So I have following questions :
1. What can I do in order to be able to "tell" knoppix to use my config on a floppy without being able to type anything at my boot prompt ?
2. Is there a way that Knoppix automatically starts to use the config of the floppy without typing " knoppix myconfig=scan" at the prompt ?
3. where can I find info on remastering the ISO image, so it automatically will look for the configuration on the floppy ?

Some info of my configuration :
1 Desktop PC containing win XP, having :
1 HD + 1 floppy
1 DVD RW reader/writer
1 CDROM-reader
Samsung Flat screen : (perhaps this is the reason I only see a white screen at boot prompt, but this does not explain why I cant type anyting at boot prompt)

Using DVD or CDROM drive results in same behaviour.

Tnx in advance.

Markus
12-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Do you by any chance have a USB keyboard?
If yes, try a PS/2 one.
Don't think the TFT has anything to do with it as I have one as well and it works just fine. I use a vsync=60 cheatcode with it though.

markraem
12-06-2004, 09:21 PM
I do NOT have a USB keyboard, although your remark is interesting.

I verified twice : I have a PS/2 connection.

What now ?

tnx for your reaction.

Markus
12-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Hmm, that was actually my best and only bet.
If you have a usb keyboard, might as well try it. Same thing if you have a PS/2 -> something adapter, plug it in and have a go.