PDA

View Full Version : 1 question and problem with booting.

Sance
12-05-2004, 09:37 PM
hi,
today i downloaded the new version 3.6 and burned it with alcohol 120%, i started the computer and it started booting from the cd, while it was still loading and executing varius commands it kind of stop working, i noticed a big list of errors:
Buffer I/O error on device cloop0: (varios numbers)
the list continius and it freezes.

i also tryd booting with knoppix26 but the same happends.
i was hopping that this versinon would fix some stuff, because i have the 2.3 and its running fine, its just that i can't get on the internet and setup my connection because it can't detect my network adapter.
i have nforce 2 motherboard with onboard network adapter,
is there any solution for these 2 problems i have?

thanks

ps: i have 1500+ memory so it shouldn't have any problems to run.

Markus
12-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Have you checked the md5sum?
Try bootting with the testcd cheatcode, and also try the nodma cheat.

Sance
12-05-2004, 10:47 PM
md5 hmm i am so confused about this now,
when i downloaded the iso image from the server i also download 2 other files, one is:
KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5
and the other:
KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5.asc

then i went to google.com and searched for a md5 checker

i try'd filecheckmd5 and when i open the md5 file this is what it says:
Testing MD5 sums in D:\Cd-images\Linux\KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso.md5
Operation complete.

No files were tested.

and thats it nothing more.

i am newbie with linux, so all these commands are kind of confusing, how do i apply them?

Markus
12-05-2004, 10:55 PM
Have a look at http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html for a howto and progs for checking the md5sum.
I think it's worth verifying the iso since a faulty one could give you problems and it doesn't take that much time to check.
Also try burning at a slower speed, say 4x.

firebyrd10
12-05-2004, 11:05 PM
If you doulbe clicked the .md5 to run it, then the .iso needs to be in the same folder.
If the iso is correct then its just a bad burn.

Sance
12-05-2004, 11:06 PM
i did burn it at 24x, and it was my last cd.
ok i got some more info, i tryd both commands but it seems like it doesn't have any effect
i typed first: knoppix testcd
and still same error
then i typed: knoppix nodma
and same

these are the 2 lines of error at the end(maybe usefull?)

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt -0000, errno=5
kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

then in next boot i tryd typing: knoppix init=
it also didn't work.
:(
edited: i didn't click on the md5 file, i opened it with the program, and yes they are all in same directory :wink:

i followed the insturctions on the website link, the program says the checksum is:
d5ee1b2ad831d44f2c6360156c1f2e80 *KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso

i never have problems with downloading, like broken downloads so i am suspicius that its the couse.

firebyrd10
12-05-2004, 11:21 PM
i did burn it at 24x, and it was my last cd.
ok i got some more info, i tryd both commands but it seems like it doesn't have any effect
i typed first: knoppix testcd
and still same error
then i typed: knoppix nodma
and same

these are the 2 lines of error at the end(maybe usefull?)

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt -0000, errno=5
kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

then in next boot i tryd typing: knoppix init=
it also didn't work.
:(
edited: i didn't click on the md5 file, i opened it with the program, and yes they are all in same directory :wink:

Knoppix can't find the compressed file, thats why there are errors. The only time i've seen this is with A: a bad burn, B: a curropted iso file.

Try md5summer, http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/md5summer/md5v12005.zip?download, it works for me.

Sance
12-05-2004, 11:31 PM
thanks man this is nice utility, it checked but says found 1 error, the checksum didn't match :cry:

ok i read a litle bit on the forum and noticed conversation about knoppix 3.7, should i try that one because the 3.6 is broken anyway or redownload 3.6?
i will buy few cd's tommorow to burn it :D

thanks for helping everyone

firebyrd10
12-05-2004, 11:55 PM
thanks man this is nice utility, it checked but says found 1 error, the checksum didn't match :cry:

ok i read a litle bit on the forum and noticed conversation about knoppix 3.7, should i try that one because the 3.6 is broken anyway or redownload 3.6?
i will buy few cd's tommorow to burn it :D

thanks for helping everyone

3.7 isn;t officly out, thats a german version someone found in a magizine.

It really up to you, I haven't tried 3.7 so I don't know if it better or not.

Harry Kuhman
12-06-2004, 12:37 AM
thanks man this is nice utility, it checked but says found 1 error, the checksum didn't match :cry

There is a common problem I've seen on many of the FTP and HTML mirrors - the file is being treated as if it were a text file and Linux new line characters are being translated to CR/LF pairs. This results in a lot of errors in the file (although it still comes down to one md5sum mismatch). Not sure if this is what happened to you, but I've seen it on about half the Knoppix iso files I've downloaded (and never seen it on anything else). You could test if this is what happened by checking the file size; the file gets somewhat larger if it is translated this way.

I intend to get my future downloads by Bittorrent, which should not suffer from this problem. If you do dowload without Bittorrent, be sure to do this test for each attempted download.

firebyrd10
12-06-2004, 12:56 AM
thanks man this is nice utility, it checked but says found 1 error, the checksum didn't match :cry

There is a common problem I've seen on many of the FTP and HTML mirrors - the file is being treated as if it were a text file and Linux new line characters are being translater to CR/LF pairs. This results in a lot of errors in the file (although it still comes down to one md5sum mismatch). Not sure if this is what happened to you, but I've seen it on about half the Knoppix iso files I've downloaded (and never seen it on anything else). You could test if this is what happened by checking the file size; the file gets somewhat larger if it is translated this way.

I intend to get my future downloads by Bittorrent, which should not suffer from this problem. If you do dowload without Bittorrent, be sure to do this test for each attempted download.

and from my belife, bittorrent does a basic checksum to see if the files are correct.