PDA

View Full Version : Mount error after duplicating disk with DD

JPWhite
12-05-2004, 09:50 PM
I am working my way through Knoppix Hacks by Kyle Rankin and decided to try cloning a HD using DD as described in the book.

I have 2 identical HD's (identical make and model), HDA has two windoze partitions, one EISA one NTFS. I tried to copy HDA to HDB by using the following command

sudo dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

I rebooted Knoppix after a sucessful copy (just 10mins for a 120GB HD), the two partitions on HDA appeared duplicated as HDB partitions. So far so good. I tried to mount HDB2 (the NTFS Partition) by double clicking on it on the desktop and received an error

Could not mount device. The reported error was:
Mount: wrong FS type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2, or too many mounted file systems.

Any idea why the partition wilnot mount in Knoppix? Windoze fails to mount it also and shows it as an empty partition without a file system.

Initially excited by DD being faster, easier and cheaper than Ghost or DriveCopy I am now unsure how to make the copy process work as described by Kyle Rankin.

Any help is truly appreciated.

JP

firebyrd10
12-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Might have been a read error, make sure none of the partitions are mount.
Also you might want to run this.

su
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb && cat /dev/hda | md5sum && cat /dev/hdb | md5sum
That will, make you the root, then copy hda over to hdb then run a md5 check on both drives. If the string of numbers and letters at the end of the process aren't the same, something went wrong.

JPWhite
12-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the pointers firebyrd10!! Something did in fact go wrong this time around.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ su
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb && cat /dev/hda | md5sum && cat /dev/hdb | md5sum
dd: writing to `/dev/hdb': Input/output error
6248265+0 records in
6248264+0 records out
3199111168 bytes transferred in 623.965721 seconds (5127062 bytes/sec)

DD did not give any errors last time. Do you think this a hardware issue or do I need to start experimenting with different cheat codes? I've already tried 2.4 and 2.6 kernels at boot. The computer is almost 3 years old and Knoppix detects all the hardware just fine on boot.

QTParted also errors out when trying to analyze hdb, gives a segmentation error, tho it reads hda just fine.

JP

firebyrd10
12-06-2004, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the pointers firebyrd10!! Something did in fact go wrong this time around.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ su
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb && cat /dev/hda | md5sum && cat /dev/hdb | md5sum
dd: writing to `/dev/hdb': Input/output error
6248265+0 records in
6248264+0 records out
3199111168 bytes transferred in 623.965721 seconds (5127062 bytes/sec)

DD did not give any errors last time. Do you think this a hardware issue or do I need to start experimenting with different cheat codes? I've already tried 2.4 and 2.6 kernels at boot. The computer is almost 3 years old and Knoppix detects all the hardware just fine on boot.

QTParted also errors out when trying to analyze hdb, gives a segmentation error, tho it reads hda just fine.

JP

Mabye there are some bad clusters on the disk.

First try zeroing it out.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb6
Don't know if that will work if dd got errors last time, but its worth a shot.