PDA

View Full Version : FTP

mkyb14
12-05-2004, 11:42 PM
ok trying to get ftp access changed ..
i installed proftp and can access my box .... but it roots me in the /home dir and i would like to have access to the whole hd seeing as i'm the only one using it .... is there a command that i can give my self access to the hd ?
if so how do i create the user with the access?
also how do i give that user privledges to do anything .. read,write,execute,delete .... etc ....?

CrashedAgain
12-06-2004, 04:36 AM
Is there a reason you have to use ftp? If you can use it, fish will give you access to the whole box. Otherwise, perhaps if you put a symlink in home linking to another directory, ftp might be able to access to directory through the link.

mkyb14
12-07-2004, 07:27 AM
what's 'fish'
and i'm using ftp so that i can use dreamweaver to directly edit my website seeing as it's just a box no monitor and 'nano' is lame for editing ...
i'm looking to figure out how to give myslef full access to my ftp so that dreamweaver works in conjunction. much easier to update stuff!

mkyb14
12-07-2004, 07:47 AM
negative on the sym link .... 'ls -s /home/ftp/home /var/www ' no go for ftp :( i need to know how to make a user with all access and change the damn start dir to something else .... plus i tryed like 3 diff ftp programs so i have no clue which one is running :( wtf am i doing

mkyb14
12-08-2004, 02:10 AM
does anyone know how to make a new user in proftpd .... after google'n it i get nothing usefull ....?
need to create a new user and set the home dir to something else than /ftp/home .....? please help

CrashedAgain
12-09-2004, 02:15 AM
what's 'fish'
and i'm using ftp so that i can use dreamweaver to directly edit my website seeing as it's just a box no monitor and 'nano' is lame for editing ...
i'm looking to figure out how to give myslef full access to my ftp so that dreamweaver works in conjunction. much easier to update stuff!

fish is a KDE/Konqueror protocol which will give access from one linux machine to another. It uses ssh to do the connection. Not well documented...but should be.

To use fish to see machine 2 from machine1:
Start ssh on machine 2. command '/etc/init.d/sshd start'
Open Konqueror on machine 2
Enter 'fish://root@192.168.2.120 ' (use the IP address for machine 2) in Konqueror's address bar. You should be rewarded by a 'unable to authorize host...do you want to continue' message, then by a request for root's password on machine 2.
You should then see Machine 2's file directory in Konqueror's browser window on machine 1, you are now logged in as root on machine 2.

Works for machines connected on a LAN, haven't tried it over an internet connection.

If you get an 'unable to connect to machine 2) error, the usual cause is that machine 1 /home/username/.ssh/known-hosts file is not happy with the ID it receives from machine 2. Delete /home/username/.ssh/known-hosts & try again. It should generate a new known-hosts file.

By symlink suggestion I meant put a symlink in machine2 /home/username eg (on machine 2) ln -s /usr/ /home/username/usr. Then machine 1 (which can access /home/username on machine 2) MAY be able to access machine 2 /usr/ directory through the symlink. Not sure if this will work though.

mkyb14
12-10-2004, 10:09 AM
from that you said earlier about 'fish://root@192.168.1.103' that doesn't work ... doens't even know that file it is.... i'm just running ssh and nothing else to the box... power, ethernet.
therefore i'm trying to get ftp running ... it says that it's up and running as i can loging as anonymous.
I want to be able to create a user that's all and give them root access .... i have proftpd up and running but not even their site gives a clear way of doing this ..... does anyone know how?????