PDA

View Full Version : PLiz help! NuBy! need to know how I can have a login manager

Drool King
12-06-2004, 04:12 AM
Hiyall,

I've installed Knoppix 3.6 on my hD, Its running fine but I cannot add another user and I dont have a log-in manager.
It always goes to the default knopix user. I tried adding a user (which I did) but it still doesn't give me a choice who will log-in. Please help because I want to add my kids to have their own desktop and can only have their own file. Thanks in advance :?:

firebyrd10
12-06-2004, 04:27 AM
In the menu under system there should be an option for user manager.

From there you should be able to add users and change auto-logins.

CrashedAgain
12-06-2004, 05:45 AM
Perhaps this will help: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14324

\/\/inblowz
12-06-2004, 05:58 AM
whilst were on the topic of logins my knoppix keeps loggin me in as "knoppix"

how do i change over to root

also i dont know the root password thats suppose to be used

thanks

OErjan
12-06-2004, 05:45 PM
sudo su in a console makes you root, or
sudo qtparted runs qtparted as root.
if you REALLTY need to become root (no idea why) the comand below will alow you to set root password.

sudo passwd root Not recommended.

CrashedAgain
12-06-2004, 06:34 PM
if you REALLTY need to become root (no idea why) the comand below will alow you to set root password.

sudo passwd root Not recommended.
With Knoppix, if you really need to become root in a console all that is needed is 'su'; no password is needed.

But setting a root password IS recommended, it adds security and there are some things which will not run as nopassword root for instance 'kdesu'.

An example: If you expect to use your text editor to edit a lot of config files which must be done as root (eg perhaps you want to edit lilo.conf, fstab, XF86Config-4) to make it easier to use Kate as your editior drag'n'drop copy the 'Kate' entry from the start menu to the desktop, then change to appliction to run to 'kdesu kate' instaed of just 'kate'. This will start kate as root but you will be prompted for a password first and it will not accept a null password.

'sudo passwd root' will work to set root password but all that's required is 'sudo passwd'.

Drool King
12-07-2004, 03:54 AM
Thank you very much to all!

CrashAgain - I clicked on the link below and got the info about the kdm-np. Question is what am i suppose to remove or add from that code? I'll try changing the code and see what happens. Thanks again.

Firebyrd - I tried using that before but I installed knoppix just like copying the CD to my HD (that is why it is always knoppix user). I added users but it will just save and will only do it for the console (no login manager).

firebyrd10
12-07-2004, 04:34 AM
Thank you very much to all!

CrashAgain - I clicked on the link below and got the info about the kdm-np. Question is what am i suppose to remove or add from that code? I'll try changing the code and see what happens. Thanks again.

Firebyrd - I tried using that before but I installed knoppix just like copying the CD to my HD (that is why it is always knoppix user). I added users but it will just save and will only do it for the console (no login manager).

Oh, you didn't do a debain still install, but rather, more of a PMI.

CrashedAgain
12-07-2004, 05:00 AM
Sorry, try this link instead.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12324&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

(It is the link from within the other post)

Note, I have not actually tried this, although I have a Knoppix-style install, I have no need for a different user. but I did run across the info & it looked like it should work.