PDA

View Full Version : can't get knopix to work on toshiba 2435

EvilP3nquin
12-06-2004, 04:30 AM
Hello i have a toshiba sattelite 2435-s255 laptop P4 2.4ghz intell prosseser 512meg of ram nvidia 420 go card, I have ben trying to get knopix to run on my computer. I know the cd works cause i have used it on 3 other computers to fix them/ play around before i tryed it on my laptop. I get to the boot screen so i know that i can boot it up ( at least i think that is what the boot screen inplays) i have run bart PE and my own PE biuld on here so i know that it can boot off of cd's fine and run in the ram fine. I have ben all over the net looking for any one that has done a live distro on this type of laptop but the cloest i have found is a HD install of readhat 8 ( i think ) so no help there. I have looked all over this forum and still have nothing to show for it. i have tryede every cheat i can find and every combo i can think of( i might have missed a cheat or combo fo them ) the only two things i can figure out that might be my problem are these:
1) my computer is runnign a pheonix (sp?) bios and a few places said that it might give me a hard time running linux. also i am woundering if my computer does not like the lilo boot that linux does ( might be way of base haven't used linux for a wile and not that much then)
2) my computer stinks so much that i am stuck running windows XP with litestep/fluxbox for windows

I have tryed other distros suse 9.1 live, morphix, debian, all give me the same error. I type in boot ro fail sae or what ever cheat code i try and it loads the first to lines and then when it swiches screens it stops. I once let it sit there all day wile i went to work hoping that it jsut might be real laggy but nope. not even a flicker.

does any one have an idea on how to get knoppix to work on my laptop? HD install is not an option due to the fact that i use it to much for work and play ( both need xp )
Please any help or ideas?

Harry Kuhman
12-06-2004, 04:50 AM
Sounds like you just need to experiment with the different cheat codes. I would start trying different combinations of knoppix26 nodma noscsi acpi=off, but you might need others and I don't know of any good way to find what any systems needs except experimentation. I would also suggest trying an older rev of knoppix, like 3.1, if you can find it (to see if the less agressive stratup there works better, although you would then likely still want to get a newer version working). Unfortunately, I don't know where you might find an archive of the old iso images; I had to delete my old copies (needed the space). Does anyone have any insight on where the old iso files might still be found?

Or do you know of a particular problem that you have that goes beyond the cheat codes?

EvilP3nquin
12-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Well i have ben playing around with the cheet codes. But still no luck. I think i am just going to keep wprking on my new windows verion i am working on at least that i can no that i can compile and make work on this system. thanks any way