PDA

View Full Version : How To Install to Hdd And Dual Boot

\/\/inblowz
12-06-2004, 05:07 AM
Hi im new to the whole linux thing and i really liked the look of knoppix so decided to download it

im running windows 2003 but would like to have knoppix on the hdd aswell and have them dual boot.

i tried reading the manual on grub but didnt understand most of it, i also read another article on the forun about it but that

was using two hdds when i want todo the same but with partitions instead.

just wondering how i can do all this and how i should have it whether the first partition should be knoppix or windows.

many thanks

\/\/inblowz

Harry Kuhman
12-06-2004, 05:26 AM
Which partition is first really shouldn't matter except for one issue. There are problems in may systems booting from beyond the 1024 cylinder (I could be off on the number, going from memory). So if Windows took too much of a large hard drive it could cause you to have problems booting Linux from a cylinder beyond this limit. In such a case the fix is to have Linux boot from a partition before this limit and still leave space for Windows to get it's partition started before the limit. Of course, Linux can use multiple partitions, and only the boot partition needs to be inside this limit.

\/\/inblowz
12-06-2004, 05:37 AM
ok

im also having trouble cause ive run out of cds and im currently running knoppix under vmware to get the feel for it.

ive tried the install cmds but none of them seem to work

ive tried typing Su then knoppix-installer

and ive also tried knx-hdinstall

neither of which have worked

any suggestions

Harry Kuhman
12-06-2004, 06:12 AM
ok

im also having trouble cause ive run out of cds and im currently running knoppix under vmware to get the feel for it.

ive tried the install cmds but none of them seem to work

ive tried typing Su then knoppix-installer

and ive also tried knx-hdinstall

neither of which have worked

any suggestions

Yes, stop doing that.

Certainly running under vmware you're asking for problems. Installing itself is also asking for trouble, but installing when running from vmware just seems insane. Get some CD's and run from CD for a while.

\/\/inblowz
12-06-2004, 06:36 PM
lol

ok well ive worked out y i wasnt able to even start the install process

the reason i wish to install it is becuase i am on dialup and i also have SuSE 9.1 personal but wasnt really to impressed with

that distro, whereas knoppix has everything that i could ever want on it and would really like to have it running off hdd instead.