PDA

View Full Version : Run Knoppix from a 256 MB memory stick ?

i2hhj
12-07-2004, 05:14 PM
sorry, all in German :
Suche eine abgespeckte Version von Knoppix 3.6,
zum Laden auf einen memory stick von 256 MB,
alleinige Anwendung : risikofreies Surfen und e-mail
Auslesen im Internet.
(einschließend die WLAN automatische Konfiguration,
die Druckerkonfigurationn mit Treiber von Canon und Samsung
und ein Startprogramm auf floppy zum booten des
memory stick)
zur Benutzung auf einem laptop IBM Thinkpad 600E.
Ist ein derartig abgespecktes Knoppix sinnvoll und verwendbar ?
Wer kann Koppix in dieser Weise zusammenstellen ?

thanks, Hans

gnarvaja
12-07-2004, 05:29 PM
sorry, all in German :
Suche eine abgespeckte Version von Knoppix 3.6,
zum Laden auf einen memory stick von 256 MB,
alleinige Anwendung : risikofreies Surfen und e-mail
Auslesen im Internet.
(einschließend die WLAN automatische Konfiguration,
die Druckerkonfigurationn mit Treiber von Canon und Samsung
und ein Startprogramm auf floppy zum booten des
memory stick)
zur Benutzung auf einem laptop IBM Thinkpad 600E.
Ist ein derartig abgespecktes Knoppix sinnvoll und verwendbar ?
Wer kann Koppix in dieser Weise zusammenstellen ?

thanks, Hans
Mein Deutsch ist nich sehr gut, so Ich werde auf Englisch antworten ...

My first tests were with a 64MB memory stick and everything worked fine.

The memory stick is used only to store either (or both) your persisten home directory and the configuration. Unless you store all your email locally and it exceeds 256MB, you should be OK. At todays prices, I would purchase a 512 MB memory stick to be on the safe side.

I finally settled for a 512MB Compact Flash card with a PCMCIA adaptor. I find it dangerous to have a memory stick 'sticking out' of the side or back of my laptop. This configuration is trickier because of the PCMCIA WiFi card, but everything works just fine.

Tschüss,

--GN

psterrett
12-26-2004, 04:08 PM
I don't read German, so I only have a vague idea of what the original poster was asking. In any even I'm runnning a Knoppix-based live CD in my laptop. I didn't want to risk resizing my NTFS HD. Since the HD is in the NTFS format and the computer has no floppy drive, I have my persistent home and configuration on a Lexar 512MB USB memory stick. This works very well for me, as it is a terrific pain to have to reconfigure everything everytime I boot into Linux.

What I would like to know is if there is a way to increase the size of the ramdrive to the point that the CD would rarely, if ever, have to be accessed?

A. Jorge Garcia
12-26-2004, 08:31 PM
How about installing a full working linux system on a bootable USB stick that you can write your data to? Maybe Damn SMall Linux would fit?

TIA,
AJG

psterrett
12-27-2004, 03:55 AM
How about installing a full working linux system on a bootable USB stick that you can write your data to? Maybe Damn SMall Linux would fit?

I thought about attempting that too. However, I'd really prefer a more full featured distro. I've read bits and pieces of information--largely in German so I don't understand it clearly--about a boot cheat that will allow booting from an ISO image on an NTFS drive. That combined with my persistent home on my 512MB Jump Drive would be ideal--until I'm willing to back up everything an attempt to resize the NTFS partition.

gnarvaja
12-28-2004, 04:35 AM
I thought about attempting that too. However, I'd really prefer a more full featured distro. I've read bits and pieces of information--largely in German so I don't understand it clearly--about a boot cheat that will allow booting from an ISO image on an NTFS drive. That combined with my persistent home on my 512MB Jump Drive would be ideal--until I'm willing to back up everything an attempt to resize the NTFS partition.

I fully agree with you. I remember reading an article about booting from an ISO image on a NTFS partition but couldn't find it againg. Do you mind sending me the URL to the article in German? My German is limited, but I could try to understand. If it works, I'll publish the results here.

--GN

kphklaus
01-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Knoppix "fullsize" gibt es für einen 1GB Stick.

http://urd.kph.de/wiki/index.php/Knoppix_USB

einfach mit dd laden!

Viele Grüesse KPH

gnarvaja
01-31-2005, 07:57 PM
http://urd.kph.de/wiki/index.php/Knoppix_USB

Dass ist was Ich brauchte!! Vielen Dank!

--GN
PS: I hope my German holds :wink: