PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER Internet problem

bstemp
12-08-2004, 03:04 PM
I have read most articles on these pages regarding connection problems, but still have no connection.

Below is a copy of the output for ipconfig /all:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name: Les-tab816t etc.
Primary Dns Suffix:
Node Type: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State: Media disconnected
Description: Realtek RTL8139/ etc.
Physical Address: 00-50-70 eetc.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Description: Intel <R> PRO/1000 CT Desktop connection
Physical address: 00-50-70 etc
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfig enabled: Yes
IP Address: 10.0.0.8
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.2
DHCP Server: 10.0.0.2
DNS Server: 10.0.0.2
Lease obtained: 6/12/2004 03:35
Lease expires: 7/12/2004 03:35

PPP adapter Cozahost (the name of my ISP):

Connection specific DNS suffix:
Description: WAN <PPP/SLIP> Interface
Physical address: 00-53-45 etc.
Dhcp enabled: No
IP Address: 165.146. etc.
Subnet Mask: 255.255. etc.
Default gateway: 165.146. etc.
DNS servers: 196.25.255.34

When in Knoppix, I have run the ADSL/PPPOE config wizard. The results are:

I have found 2 ethernet devices:
eth0, eth1

then:

I found access concentrator on eht0. Set up PPOE on eth0?

I choose 'Yes' all the way through.

I have tried the netcardconfig in the shell, but am unsure of some of the settings:

I am asked for the following:
select network device: eht0, eth1 (which do I choose?)
IP Address (I assume this is the IP Address listed above under PPP adapter)
Network mask: (is this the subnet mask on the above print out?)
Broadcast: (no idea what to put here)
Default gateway (again, I suppose that's the one from PPP above)
Name server: (this has me truly stumped).

Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Bill

Harry Kuhman
12-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Can anyone advise?
I strongly advise anyone with an ethernet connection to a DSL or cable modem to get one of the now insanely inexpensive (often $10 U.S. here, sometimes after rebates) home DSL/cable routers. These things not only give you extra protection and extra utility, but they make set-up a snap. A rough quote of text I saw on the Damn Small Linux start-up page last night is "If you have an Ethernet connection and a home DSL/Cable router, your Linux system may already be on the Internet with no configuration needed on your part". How very true. These devices take care of all logging in and provide you with a (safer) simple local network, and will configure your system automatically via DHCP.

Can it be done without the box? Yes. But I haven't done it, I'm not the one to talk anyone through that. I bought my first home router when they cost 10x what they cost now, and it was still a bargan.

bstemp
12-08-2004, 04:18 PM
I thought that's what I have.
It's called an ADSL router 4 port.

If this is what you are talking about, they are not cheap over here (S. Africa), where they cost ± USD 150.

Bill

Harry Kuhman
12-08-2004, 11:50 PM
I thought that's what I have.
It's called an ADSL router 4 port.l
That sounds like a 4 port router all right. With a device like this and it running DHCP (which is often an opten in it's set-up, it usually is posiable to turn DHCP off) the device logs in to your ISP for you, and you should be on-line when you boot your OS (Windows or Linux) with no ADSL/PPPoE software needed to be run at all.

What happens if you just boot Knoppix (from CD), and click on one of the links on the browser bookmark line?

I have seen a different problem with getting an ethernet card working, but I don't want to confuse ithings by going into it yet.

If we are on the same track here and you don't get on-line without running any DHCP software, try to point the browser at the router's address (usually 192.168.something.1) and see if 1) you can talk to it and 2) if DHCP is enabled. If you can't talk to it, try to ping it. And if that fails try these two commands in a shell: sudo mii-tool -r and then sudo netcardconfig and answer yes to the question about using DHCP.

If this is what you are talking about, they are not cheap over here (S. Africa), where they cost ± USD 150.
I'm not sure what you have. Do you have a brand and a model for it? There are some people here (in the U.S.) that have an ADSL modem with a built-in router/switch. I expect these devices cost at least that much, likely more. ADSL modems are still expensive, as there is not a typical over-the-counter market for them. I didn't know you already had a router/switch and I was thinking of an add-on box that was only a router and switch but not the ADSL modem. These are in great supply here and, for the most part, inexpensive (although that's not to say that someone will not try to sell you one for a lot of money). So I'm not sure which item you have, but I hope it's not just the router and switch for that price. Even a router/switch with a high speed wireless access point almost always costs less than that over here (although one may have to send in for a rebate to get the final deal).