PDA

View Full Version : Clicking on Hard Disk Partition Icon

Ian2222
12-08-2004, 03:54 PM
What happens if I click on the Hard Disk Partition Icon on the Desktop and will it impact at all on the OS that I have installed on the Hard Drive, namely Windows XP?

Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
12-08-2004, 04:03 PM
What happens if I click on the Hard Disk Partition Icon
It mounts the partition for you in read only mode. Until you mount a partition, Linux can not access files on that partition. Knoppix deliberately mounts partitions as read only so that it will not impact other operating systems, unless you deliberately mount or remount the partition as read/write.

robwelch100
12-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Actually, if you click on the icon a fire alarm will be triggered sending Altuna's finest to a pink lemonade stand on the corner of Maple and Vine. The last time someone did it the 12 your girl who operates the stand was fined for not having an alternate fire exit. The stand was closed for weeks while the table and cordboard box it was made from was renovated to accomodate the fire code. Don't do it. IT OPENS THE FILE MANAGER SO YOU CAN SEE THE CONTENTS OF THE DRIVE. :D Not trying to be rude. Just having fun.

KanotixUser
12-10-2004, 04:35 AM
What happens if I click on the Hard Disk Partition Icon on the Desktop and will it impact at all on the OS that I have installed on the Hard Drive, namely Windows XP?

Thanks.

You can mount the drive and read from it without issue. If it is a fat32 partition (unlikely) you can write to it, but if it is a NTFS partition DO NOT write anything to it.