PDA

View Full Version : CD Burning Help

beforewisdom
03-31-2003, 12:19 AM
Hi;

What cd burning software is available in the knoppix 3.1.

I found xcdroast( not a very intuitive interface ) and k3b.

I used k3b to burn mozilla to a cd, no problems.

However, when I tried copying( "copy a cd" ) my knoppix cd to a blank cd I got all sorts of weird problems.

First k3b claimed that it could not read the cd in the cd reader/burner. Then it claimed it could not find cdrrao, yet its path was correctly listed in the programs set up. The error messages I got told me to specify a generic driver with the "--driver" option......yet when I ran "k3b --help" it had no such option listed.

Any ideas how I can get k3b going for cd -> cd copying?

Is there an easier/better piece of cd burning software already on knoppix?

Steve

baldyeti
03-31-2003, 11:22 AM
Hi, you *are* trying to copy CD's from an HDD-installed knoppix, right?
Otherwise, unless you have two readers/one burner, your cdrom is locked
because that's where knoppix itself is running from, and you probably cannot
acces it the same time for duplication purposes.
Just my guess, but I think it makes sense.
Other than that, KDE also has the cdbakeoven software, but I don't have a
3.1 knoppix copy handy to check whether that's included, sorry.

BTW, does someone know where I could download the latest, greatest,
stable and gnome-enabled 3.1 knoppix iso?

beforewisdom
03-31-2003, 12:23 PM
Nope :).

I have Knoppix installed on my hard drive.

I also have a CD containing Knoppix ( I bought it from edmunds-enterprises, they download FSF, burn it onto cds, and sell it for about $1 plus shipping ).

I have a dvd reader and a cd reader/writer.

I tried copying my Knoppix CD to a blank CD.

It didn't work, I got the error messages described in my original post eventhough I was able to burn mozilla ( just a file --> cd job ) to a blank CD.

Steve

RockMumbles
03-31-2003, 03:11 PM
Your problem is cdrdao isn't configured properly, I use cdrdao to copy cd's, as root in a console or terminal window. On my old slow system I have to copy to hd first them make the cd-copy, anyway I made a script called cdcopy that in essence is this:

cdrdao copy --source-device 0,1,0 --source-driver generic-mmc --device 0,0,0 --speed 8

do a man cdrdao and see what you need to do on your system, you'll have to set the devices, device-driver(s) and speed for your system.

rock

zzyzx
04-03-2003, 05:23 AM
Make sure the dev has generic-mmc. Also I got a similar error, I solved it by waiting for K3b to ask to insert a blank cd then I open and put a blank cd it and it worked. It couldn't detect a black cd.

xcdroast is great you have to start it from su first. Then just copy the .iso to disk and the burn it to a new disk. Very easy once you do it twice.

Bill

Stephen
04-03-2003, 05:45 AM
xcdroast is great you have to start it from su first. Then just copy the .iso to disk and the burn it to a new disk.

Bill

If you add yourself to the sudoers file (visudo in a root console) you can have root permission every time you run xcdroast very handy if you ever what to change settings. The line in my sudoers file:

under the section - # User privilege specification

stephen HappyTux=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/xcdroast
stephen=user HappyTux=hostname

Very easy once you do it twice.

lol