PDA

View Full Version : Wireless trouble once again

Rasalibra
12-09-2004, 02:44 AM
OK ive been using knoppix for a little while now and i recently got a laptop Its a toshiba Everything works great except the netword Card here are the "stats"

Belkin 802.11g F5D7010 Cardbus Broadcom

Could ne one help me set it up thanks

pureone
12-09-2004, 09:06 PM
how far have you got with your card so far?

what type of errors do you get?

have you looked at the ndiswrapper site for more info?

Rasalibra
12-10-2004, 12:25 AM
well i havnt gotten to far with the card it bassically says it cant detect the card when i do wireless card config thats about how far ive got

pureone
12-10-2004, 01:48 AM
ok i suggest you read up on ndiswrapper for your wireless card. get the drivers the ndiswrapper site suggests you should use (this may not always work as in my case) and also make sure you put the drivers that came with your belkin cd on to your harddrive (knoppix dont like using drivers from the ram or cd) .
run the ndiswrapper script with either driver that you want to experiment with if it dont work try it again with a differnt driver. if that dont work you truely are screwed ndiswrapper is the last resort really when it comes to wireless for what i know anyway.when you do get it up and running

your card will be known as wlan0 before you do anything type in the console(as root)

ifconfig

you will notice that there is only 1 card in the list. that is the localloop back.
now in the console again type.

ifconfig wlan0 up

this will turn your wireless card on.

now try

ifconfig

you will see wlan0 in there also.

now to move on to wireless. i would first once activated the card go and search for a ap with

iwlist scanning

from here im not to sure were to go
i normaly run the network card config and set up my ip that i want and them move on to iwconfig
wireless config and follow the instructions remeber if your not to sure on a parameter read the man pages. do this by typeing

man iwconfig
man iwspy
man iwpriv
man iwlist

i suggest you also read the succes with knoppix 3.6 wireless sticky as it has helped me alot.

hope this helps :D

grant_vallance
12-13-2004, 11:25 AM
OK ive been using knoppix for a little while now and i recently got a laptop Its a toshiba Everything works great except the netword Card here are the "stats"

Belkin 802.11g F5D7010 Cardbus Broadcom

Could ne one help me set it up thanks

There is a sticky post: Success with Knoppix 3.6 and Wireless Networking that deals specifically with setting up a F5D7010. Not all the steps are necessary; but it will give you an excellent starting point.

Its the card on this laptop; and the post is written by myself :-)

Cheers,

Grant D. Vallance