PDA

View Full Version : pcmcia network card not recognized - now what?

redss
12-09-2004, 05:46 AM
Running knoppix liveCD (or poor mans install) onto old gateway solo laptop (Pentium 166), my pcmcia network card is not recognized (netgear FA410TX).

Where can I go from here? I hope there is a way to get it recognized without installing to HD.

OErjan
12-09-2004, 06:53 PM
does it work in Win?
it might be a 32Bit card and those old computers wont work with that.
i will check later, must go now

OErjan
12-09-2004, 07:21 PM
yes sorry but it seems to be a 32 bit cardbus card NOYT a 16bit pcmciacard, that might be the problem, the hardwares do not match well.
here you have what i found on google (specifications)
http://www.ciao.co.uk/NETGEAR_FA410TX__5449645/TabId/4

redss
12-09-2004, 10:51 PM
thanks for the response. I'm a bit confused - the card works fine on the computer under windows 98. I had to install the driver off the manufacturer CD tho.

The link you gave said I have a "choice of 16 or 32 bit performance", and Linux was included in the system requirements...

Does this mean I would have to find a different network card for this computer? Or that I would have to get a newer laptop? Other than no network, Knoppix works fine on it.

BTW, this is for my roomate, not me, the computer is way too slow for me but he can't afford anything better right now and I want to convert him to Linux because I'm tired of cleaning up all the spyware that ends up on his box. Isn't it great that Linux users don't have to worry about spyware like windows users?

OErjan
12-10-2004, 07:53 PM
if it worked under Win 98 it should work under linux.
what does the comand

ifconfig say?

and what does
lsmod give? (everything alsa and fat, ntfs, ext, reiser you can discard, that is not relevant to this)

what does
dmesg|grep eth say?

what does
lspci|grep eth say?

redss
12-10-2004, 09:34 PM
I'll be home in about 4 hours to post back that info. thanks!

[edit:] on second thought, never mind, I've given up on putting knoppix on this computer. the fromhd cheatcode wouldnt work so I went back to win98 :-(