PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.7 officially released

probono
12-09-2004, 11:13 PM
The public download edition of 3.7 of KNOPPIX is now available via Bittorrent, and on the Knoppix-Mirrors. Some of the current features include:

Lots and lots of package updates
Kernel 2.4.27 + 2.6.9 (w/ ACPI)
KDE update: 3.3.1 from Debian/unstable
FreeNX 0.2.5 (Fabian Franz)
Java security update (1.4.2_06)
more supported graphics cards
isdntool-knoppix for easier text+GUI based ISDN configuration

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

eco2geek
12-10-2004, 03:49 AM
The "nxsetup-knoppix" script does not successfully create a new "nxuser" user. That part of the script gives errors.

However, after creating the "nxuser" manually, the rest of the script works fine.

(And, curiously, my USB thumbdrive is now "uba1" rather than "sda1".)

anton123
12-10-2004, 04:21 AM
Hello

Does " 2.6.9 (w/ ACPI)" mean that this version of the kernel supports ACPI or it does not? What does "w/" stand for?

Thank you

ccwufu
12-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Hello

Does " 2.6.9 (w/ ACPI)" mean that this version of the kernel supports ACPI or it does not? What does "w/" stand for?

Thank you

w/ : with
w/o : without

ewangr
12-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Anyone know if USB2 support has been added to the 2.6 kernel stream? In 3.6 the 2.4.27 kernel supports USB2, but the 2.6.7 kernel evidently doesn't have the ehci-hcd enabled or built.

Thanks,
Ewan

kn2user
12-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Can Knoppix 3.7 open mac floppies?
If it can than I want have to look for another live cd but if not than I am out of luck.

Thanks for any info that you can give.

probono
12-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Can Knoppix 3.7 open mac floppies?
If it can than I want have to look for another live cd but if not than I am out of luck.

Thanks for any info that you can give.

http://www.linux-magazin.de/Artikel/ausgabe/1997/03/Apple/xhfs.gif

You can use xhfs for that purpose. It's not on the Knoppix CD but you can get it from klik://hfsutils-tcltk (klik client must be installed) and select "xhfs" when prompted. (I tried xhfs from klik on Kanotix BH X and there it works. It might or might not work in Knoppix, too.)

Greetings,
probono

Honkeychops
12-10-2004, 11:24 PM
:D Gotta love Knoppix 3.7!!
I finally get to use my Iomega (100MB) Zip Drive !!
It would always *list* during startup (3.4 3.6) but I could never get it to show up on the desktop.
I had posted on Knopix.net about this previously, but No Joy... till 3.7
Now I can save my config and use 60MB for a Persistant Home Directory all on one ZIP without tying up my one 128 MB USB thumb drive!! Great!!

Thanks Knoppix

Matt

Harry Kuhman
12-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Are people downloading it OK with Bittorrent? There was this somewhat cryptic post in the general support forum (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15458) that seemed to indicate that there was a problem with the bittorrent, but I'm not clear on what the poster was saying. Didn't plan on grabbing it myself with Bittorrent until I went to bed tonight.

locutus
12-11-2004, 04:43 AM
Are people downloading it OK with Bittorrent? There was this somewhat cryptic post in the general support forum (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15458) that seemed to indicate that there was a problem with the bittorrent, but I'm not clear on what the poster was saying. Didn't plan on grabbing it myself with Bittorrent until I went to bed tonight.

both 3.7 and the game version worked for me today. The Gamer version was going REALLY slow for quite some time but then sped up. I'm talking in the single and double digit Bytes.

I don't know if it's related but my firewall has been attacked with Ping of Deaths today and it started around the time the torrents started. Probably some pissed of Microserf trying to mess things up. ;-) From what I can tell, they only have succeeded in getting me some email and a bunch of log entries.

locutus
12-11-2004, 04:48 AM
I was having some CUPS printer problems from an update I did the other day( new security updates ) and tried to use 3.7 with the nxserver to remotely check things out but starting the nxserver from the Knoppix->Services option failed. Looks like it's having a tough time creating the new user required for this to work. Anybody else seen this?

I've not messed with much else yet so all I can say is that it "looks" nice so far. ;-/

musclemania2004
12-11-2004, 06:13 AM
Hi!

I just downloaded knoppix 3.7 iso latested version, tried the loading from HDD( by poor man's install),I typed at directory(c:/knoppix/boot/isolinux , under DOS):
-------------------------------------------
loadlin.exe linux26 root=/dev/hda1 initrd=minirt26.gz lang=us fromhd=/dev/hda1
------------------------------------------
it started quickly ,but stalled at Kernel panic...it just got hang up there...........

I even tried:
---------------------------------------------
loadlin linux26 ramdisk_size=128000 vga=788 initrd=minirt26.gz nomce BOOT_IMAGE=Knoppix
---------------------------------------------------------
later it ended up at "can't finD knoppix file system", only basic shell was loaded..........

Finally I typed:
-------------------------------------------
loadlin.exe linux24 root=/dev/hda1 initrd=minirt24.gz lang=us fromhd=/dev/hda1
------------------------------------------
it run smoothly into KDE , but that's in kernel 2.4.27.

In fact I'd like to try knoppix3.7 running in Kernel2.6.9......

How shoul I enter kernel 2.6.9's knoppix3.7? by which cheatcodes?
Alternatively if there're other more concise methods for loading up knoppix3.7 from hard disk's iso images/or extracted knoppix files on win fat partition , do let me know as well!

Do hope you help indeed!

Regards!

tom :?:

anton123
12-11-2004, 06:32 AM
Hello,

I have installed 3.7 last night and from my experience with it so far, I am not that pleased. This release seems to be quite buggy compared to 3.6, even to 3.7 Professional. KDE 3.3.1 is very unstable. Today I tried to burn an audio CD with k3b. k3b was crashing each time after I added a random number of WAV files for compilation. So, I had to boot into Windows ME to be able to burn the audio CD. Fonts.....the window title bar font appears screwed just as do the Mozilla fonts in the menus and dialogs. 3.7 Professional was using the exact same font for the title bar and it was quite legible. KDE 3.2.3 was much more stable. Mr. Knopper, please release 3.8 with KDE 3.3.2 and hopefully it will be stable KDE release.
So, until that happens, I downgrade to 3.7 Professional.

aay
12-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Hello,

I have installed 3.7 last night and from my experience with it so far, I am not that pleased. This release seems to be quite buggy compared to 3.6, even to 3.7 Professional. KDE 3.3.1 is very unstable. Today I tried to burn an audio CD with k3b. k3b was crashing each time after I added a random number of WAV files for compilation. So, I had to boot into Windows ME to be able to burn the audio CD. Fonts.....the window title bar font appears screwed just as do the Mozilla fonts in the menus and dialogs. 3.7 Professional was using the exact same font for the title bar and it was quite legible. KDE 3.2.3 was much more stable. Mr. Knopper, please release 3.8 with KDE 3.3.2 and hopefully it will be stable KDE release.
So, until that happens, I downgrade to 3.7 Professional.

It sounds like K3b is unstable not Knoppix. There are other apps on knoppix that you can use for burning CD's. I recommend learning to use cdrecord from the command line. It comes in real handy lots of times when using a GUI is not an option.

Adam

De Vince
12-11-2004, 11:14 PM
Where is the knoppix-firewall in the new 3.7?

because in Knoppix 3.7 prof. ed. (pcwelt) there was a very nice
Front-End fur Firewall-Einstellung (firewall-knoppix 0.5-1)

patelbhavesh
12-13-2004, 07:37 AM
For those who want to download via edonkey or gnutella network here are the links for the English version

Gnutella/magnet link
magnet:?xt=urn:sha1:6DA432FQKVDP75JAKA42BU3WX25LEU YI&dn=KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso

edonkey link
ed2k://|file|KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso|732942336|f08db29c76dafc0ce4b7f1ba259370c3|

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Software , Free Speech ,Free Society
http://bhavesh.freeshell.org

rohandhruva
12-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Hi,

Anyone can please post the screenshots?

Rohan.

bob58
12-13-2004, 07:55 PM
This post is for Honkychops......how did you get your zip drive working? I have an Iomega 250MB zip USB drive I would like to use with KNOPPIX. bob58

Honkeychops
12-14-2004, 02:56 AM
Bob 58

In previous releases of Knoppix, I`ve always been able to *see* my Iomega Zip Drive listed along with the rest of my HDD`s and optical drives during the startup routine, but the zip would NEVER show up on the desktop for me to utilize.
Several post`s to Knoppix forum and I just gave up!

This time with Knoppix3.7, during my inital boot (using "linux26" for the latest kernel as part of my boot cheatcode),
I inserted a zip disc prior to boot and was happily surprized to *see* it show up for the first time on my desktop!!
This particular disc was previously dos formatted and had .mp3 files on it, which I easily accessed and played with knoppix provided player.
After playing around with the .mp3`s I noticed the zip (drive) WAS also now available to save to the config, and also available to create a persistent home directory.

I believe (just to be sure) I removed the disc and formatted clean in another (Windows) machine, then I reinserted my now blank zip disc and successfully saved the config and also successfully created myself a 60Mb (out of 100Mb) persistent Home Directory. I had previously used my one and only 128MB USB thumb drive for this purpose.

To sum up, I did nothing special or esoteric to get the zip drive to become available to me this time, other than like I said, I used "linux26" as the initial part of my boot "cheat code", *and* I had a zip disc already inserted into the drive while I boot up. I had done exactly this before with Knoppix 3.4 3.6.

I attribute my success with the zip drive this time to Knoppix 3.7`s hardware detection improvements.

Honkeychops.

tonycooles
12-14-2004, 10:27 AM
i dont know anyone else but for me was working really nice i got the fastest download i ever had running azureus under windows, 134 KB/s was the peak

:)

bob58
12-14-2004, 01:06 PM
OK Honkeychops...thats good news....I was on the Iomega site and they do have some kind of software or files for using a zip drive under linux....but then it also mentions the need for some other drivers.....I guess Knoppix wins again!!!!! bob58

goldmoon
12-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Is Java enabled by default in the browsers included with Knoppix 3.7?

If so, then just surfing a black hat's website could compromise the security of your shiny new Knoppix :(

http://secunia.com/advisories/13271/

dutchbrown
12-15-2004, 11:27 PM
After I installed the 3.7 half of the menues and icons were listed in German. Yes I downloaded the en version, and the live cd didn't have this problem

reagle
12-16-2004, 06:08 PM
I only see kernel 2.6.7 but the docs and announce say 2.6.9?!?

rohandhruva
12-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Hiya,

Can someone pelase post the screnns of default desktop and such?

Rohan.

locutus
01-28-2005, 08:41 PM
The links listed by tatalor( user created the same day as the posting ) are unrelated to the thread and contain images of poor taste. Tatalor has mosted over 11 other messages with the same links and appears to be SPAM.

pureone
01-28-2005, 09:15 PM
if you are worried about your computer being compramised by java click the button in prefences that says disable javascript.

Doctor
02-02-2005, 11:02 AM
:!: :!: :!:
Java != JavaScript

foamrotreturns
02-03-2005, 10:25 PM
I'm just always aching for the latest, greatest. About how often do the releases come out, and is there anything that I can do to offer my services as a tester of the 3.8beta?

pureone
02-07-2005, 02:35 PM
:!: :!: :!:
Java != JavaScript
oops my bad i ment java.

Tonayie
02-08-2005, 12:55 AM
im literrarily stuck at the boot screen can someone help me out?
Kallouskid@gmail.com
Tonayie Aim

Harry Kuhman
02-08-2005, 01:05 AM
im literrarily stuck at the boot screen can someone help me out?
Kallouskid@gmail.com
Tonayie Aim
Start a new thread in an appropriate forum, do not "hijack" an existing thread, particularly a news thread. You might also want to search the forums or documentation, since your question, whatever it is, has likely been asked and answered here. And you might want to give some insight on what problem you seem to be having.

This thread is being closed, the "news" about 3.7 seems to be over.