PDA

View Full Version : hdd install without dual-boot

pakux
12-10-2004, 04:15 AM
hi everybody,

recently i got a new laptop in my office (ibm thinkpad t42), with winXP. I have to keep and use the XP at work but i want to get a linux box out of the office. Until now i've been using knoppix liveCD but i would prefer to make a hdd installation. The matter is that i do not want a dual-boot configuration with bootloader menu but only a "hidden" linux, running from hdd but booting from cd (the thinkpad does not have floppy drive so installing the boot loader in a disk is not an option). I've already managed to shrink the original ntfs partition, getting some unallocated gb ready for linux partitions.

Is it possible to boot knoppix from cd and run from hdd, or shall i keep running the liveCD only ?

testuser
12-10-2004, 06:11 AM
See the pivot root install method and the poor man's install method.

Unfortunately the wiki's down right now with instructions.

See the response I just posted here:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15434

CrashedAgain
12-11-2004, 04:20 AM
Yes, you can have a 'hidden' Knoppix, either by doing a poorman's install or by doing a full hd install but put specify to put lilo on the partition not on the mbr. You can then boot into this hd install by booting the CD with the bootcode:
knoppix root=/dev/hda5 noinitrd ro

pakux
12-13-2004, 03:09 PM
thank you for the advise, it seems to be exactly what i was looking for. I will give it a try for sure.

greetings.