PDA

View Full Version : myconfig =scan home=scan

dk1ri
12-10-2004, 07:59 PM
I tried to store the configuration on a USB stick and create the permanent homedir there with knoppic3.7
using knopiix26.
This did not work.
reason seems to be the new filesystem for sticks is not supported.
After booting with kernel 24 t is ok with /dev/sda1

Also knoppix3.6 with kernel 26 was ok.

also reading existing file of knoppix36 using
knoppx26 myconfig=scan hoe=scan
was not working.

Any ideas??

guenter

guener

CrashedAgain
12-11-2004, 03:55 AM
It does sound like support for usb stick is not correctly configured for the 2.6 kernel. This is/was also an issue with cdrom support, the reason was that the link /dev/cdrom linked to /dev/scd0 was not being created with the 2.6 kernel, supposedly it should not be needed because 2.6 kernel now reads everything more directly. But it was still needed if your system was set up for scsi emulation which knoppix is.
Probably something similar is happening for usb stick support. Hope this is hint enough, can't check into it further, I have no usb stick.

eco2geek
12-11-2004, 05:58 AM
Try "knoppix26 home=/dev/uba1 myconf=/dev/uba1" instead.

And/or, run Knoppix (with kernel 2.6) without trying to mount your persistent home or load configs, but with your USB thumbdrive plugged in, and see what Knoppix calls it.

dk1ri
12-11-2004, 02:22 PM
ok, it is not a problem of th 2.6 kernel (it workes with it under knoppix36.

It is related to the uba filesystem.

booting with myconfig=/dev/uba1 crashed the system with cannot autodetect the filesystem.
("GB FAT standard should have no problems)

Nevertheless, if you are new user with knoppix37 and try to create myconfig or permanent home.
uba filesystem is not supported.
If you connect the stick the running system, it is connected and usable otherwise

Conclusion for me (now) faall back to knoppix36 :((

regards
guenter

eentonig
01-11-2005, 08:25 AM
In my opinion it's related to the 2.6 kernel. Or at least in knoppix kernel 2.6

@work, I have a Desktop which is unused for the moment, plenty of ram, ntfs filesystem and I can't play with the HD because it needs to be available in case off. So I usually start from CD with:
"knoppix toram home=scan myconf=scan splash"
or
"knoppix toram home=/dev/sda1 myconf=/dev/sda1 splash"

Dependig how much typing I'm willing to do that day :wink:

This morning, for the fun off it, I tried knoppix26 to see how this would work. Neither version recognizes my conf or home parameters.
"knoppix26 toram home=scan myconf=scan splash"
or
"knoppix26 toram home=/dev/sda1 myconf=/dev/sda1 splash"
After checking, I saw that indeed USB Hd is now called uba1

After restarting with "knoppix26 toram home=/dev/uba1 myconf=/dev/uba1 splash" my settings were loaded as expected, but the USB HD was not installed dynamically. Instead, I still had the (now useless desktop link to sda1.

I created a new link on the desktop and this works (RW).

So, you can work around this, but it's not really userfriendly. No need to go back to knoppix3.6 though, just don't run the 2.9 kernel.

dk1ri
01-11-2005, 01:38 PM
may be, it is a 2.6 kernel problem on knoppix3.7 (not on konoppix 3.6.)

It is related to the uba filesystem (not detected by scan)

also the uba filesystem is not detectected, when trying ro store a configuratrion (can only select a non exoxisting floppy :( )

no other solution found yet -> so using 3.6 ans waiting for 3.8

guenterr