PDA

View Full Version : V3.2-2003-03-30 (small update)

aay
03-31-2003, 04:33 AM
- XFree86-4.3 support for some SiS-Cards
- ASUS WL-100 Wireless PCMCIA card added to config
- fix: duplicate mount attempt for swapfile on config/home partition
- fix: duplicate dhcp broadcast in knoppix-terminalserver client
- Re-added: audacity
- Added: download/install script for macromedia flash (contributed by Fabian Franz)

ss
03-31-2003, 05:30 AM
I really hope that this version can run my Ms Access 95 & Ms Visual Basic 4.0 using Wine.
Somebody try it yet ?

IoN_PuLse
03-31-2003, 06:22 AM
Is it any faster? 3.2 boots so slowly, I've tried it on several brand new machines with lots of memory and speed, good quality CDROM drives, and it takes like 5-10 minutes to boot completely.

The older version is MUCH faster. (ie: before 3.1)

Henk Poley
03-31-2003, 12:51 PM
Is it any faster? 3.2 boots so slowly, I've tried it on several brand new machines with lots of memory and speed, good quality CDROM drives, and it takes like 5-10 minutes to boot completely.

The older version is MUCH faster. (ie: before 3.1)
That is wierd... I think it takes longer than Knoppix 3.1 at my machine, but 5 minutes?

Henk Poley
03-31-2003, 01:32 PM
I really hope that this version can run my Ms Access 95 & Ms Visual Basic 4.0 using Wine.
Somebody try it yet ?
Uhm, are you serious?

I think you could better try Plex86/Bochs or VMWare so yuo can run Windows inside Linux. But YMMV, just try. You need to be sure that Wine is configured propperly. And if you are able to spend some money on it you could try WineX (http://www.transgaming.com/).

SaS
03-31-2003, 03:59 PM
Knoppix have some trubles detecting creative PCI 128 sound card! Knoppix detects it incorectly and i must manualy fix it :( maybe in next realise klaus will fix it? ;)

jake
03-31-2003, 04:20 PM
Somebody try it yet ?

I'm running MSAccess 2000 without any problems thanks to Crossover-Office - if you've got the money and need to run the apps, check out www.codeweavers.com

I've never tried Visual Studio with it, but there's a fairly good chance it would work.

SaS
03-31-2003, 05:34 PM
and what about to translate twm to english?

genzo
03-31-2003, 05:57 PM
openoffice is almost all in english.. the file->new submenu and file->autopilot submenu are still in german.. very strange..

sps
03-31-2003, 09:36 PM
Mozilla: history and auto-complete not working since version 3.2, anyone with same problems?
:shock:

genzo
04-01-2003, 02:09 AM
yeah, i thought autocomplete was turned off by default, but just checked my preferences and it's supposed to be on, but is not working..

aek56
04-01-2003, 07:07 AM
since version from 28.03.03 SMB access via konqueror does no longer work, error message:
Prozess konnte nicht gestartet werden: Aufruf des Ein/Ausgabe-Moduls nicht möglich. klauncher meldet: Fehler beim Laden von "kio_smb"

regards

AEK

A. Jorge Garcia
04-01-2003, 03:09 PM
Somebody try it yet ?

Did you get to run VB with WINE yet? I've tried in the past with no luck! If I could do this, I'd be able to leave M$ WINDOZE in the dust for good and all!

You see, I teach:
Quarter 1: QBASIC (I could use yabasic or xbasic for this or even dosemu?)

Quarter 2: VBASIC (with WINE?)

Semester 2: C++ (using GNU GCC g++ now for this)

Year 2: Java (looking at GNU GCC gcj for this)

Regards,

Viro
04-01-2003, 03:18 PM
A. Jorge Garcia:

For Java, you could always use the Sun/Blackdown/IBM JVMs. They're much better than GCJ at the moment.

InfoNexus
04-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Knoppix have some trubles detecting creative PCI 128 sound card! Knoppix detects it incorectly and i must manualy fix it :( maybe in next realise klaus will fix it? ;)

My Audigy soundcard is detected by Knoppix's autoconfig, but no drivers for this card was found at all... :( Question is... when support for Audigy msx card will be integrated in Knoppix distribution? I found necessary drivers for Audigy/Audigy2 sound cards on Creative web page, but I am a totally "green user"... I can't install, and remaster Knoppix distribution for my Audigy card... I can't do this... I don't know how?

PS: Big sorry for my very poor English, but this language isn't my native...

Fabianx
04-01-2003, 11:24 PM

My Audigy soundcard is detected by Knoppix's autoconfig, but no drivers for this card was found at all... :( Question is... when support for Audigy msx card will be integrated in Knoppix distribution? I found necessary drivers for Audigy/Audigy2 sound cards on Creative web page, but I am a totally "green user"... I can't install, and remaster Knoppix distribution for my Audigy card... I can't do this... I don't know how?

PS: Big sorry for my very poor English, but this language isn't my native...

You can try my alsa-Script in the Ideas-Section, see "[ANNOUNCE] alsa ..."

It'll hopefully soon be integrated into Knoppix, then you'll get your audigy to work with: "knoppix alsa"

cu

Fabian

MattT
04-02-2003, 12:05 AM
"when support for Audigy msx card"

You might be interested in this post.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1599

A. Jorge Garcia
04-02-2003, 01:53 AM
A. Jorge Garcia:

For Java, you could always use the Sun/Blackdown/IBM JVMs. They're much better than GCJ at the moment.

OK, but aren't JVMs used in place of JREs? I need JDK.

Regards,

brianpward
04-02-2003, 02:43 AM
openoffice is almost all in english.. the file->new submenu and file->autopilot submenu are still in german.. very strange..

Looking back, this has been a problem with all the English versions of Knoppix 3.2.

Viro
04-02-2003, 01:03 PM
A.Jorge Garcia:

http://java.sun.com is where you can download the Sun JDK. It comes with the JVM too.
http://www.blackdown.org is where you can download the Blackdown port of the JDK.

The beauty of Linux is you can install as many JDK/JVM that you want and all you need to do is set the JDK_HOME variable and the PATH variable to point to the correct location and you're set.

I'd ditch gcj for now as the performance I get from Blackdown is good.

tjcw
04-03-2003, 03:13 AM
You can get IBM's one from http://www.ibm.com/java/

WeeWilly
04-03-2003, 03:28 AM
Why is it that in 21b I have a screen res of 1400 x 1050 but in 30 I have 640 x 480
the xserver in 21b is ati and in 30 it is vesa :?:

seth
04-07-2003, 09:45 AM
Hi,

I tried boot Knoppix 3.2 (both 2003-03-28-EN and then 2003-03-30-EN) and run Linux Terminal server. Then I tried to set up computers here in office which are connected to same hub to set up to boot rom network (I tried different methods) but wasn't working. Don't know why? PXE faq is not so usefull and I don't know how to track/debug it. Does somebody same experiences? Or did it for somebody worked? Can somebody try to summarize step-by-step guide .. Thanks, a lot.

thedank
04-09-2003, 12:50 AM
I guess the latest stable release of mplayer just came out. It would be cool if it was mastered into the next release of Knoppix :wink: