PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble using Knoppix from my burned bootable CD.

pulsating_walleye
12-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi.

I'm having a Windows problem with my hp Pavilion ze5200 laptop (it stalls/stops doing anything at the XP loading screen) and I am hoping to use Knoppix to get at a few of the files I have on there. I have the BIOS set to boot from the CD drive.

I used Nero to burn a bootable disc from the .iso image, and it burned it just fine with no issues. When I put it in my laptop and restart, it does boot up, but nothing happens. It start out by saying "Caldera-[something]" and then A bunch of text and such scrolls by, and I end up at a line that says

[DR-DOS] A:\>

Am I doing something wrong? Is it supposed to go there? Am I just an idiot?(cetainly :) )

I tried to read the FAQ, but it appears to be down :( If this would be more appropriate in the laptop forum, my apologies and please just move it there.

Your help is appreciated!

EDIT: Oh dear, this should have probably gone into the MS windows and new to linux forum, eh? :(

Markus
12-10-2004, 09:13 PM
How to burn an iso with nero: http://members.home.nl/lsnoek/iso.htm#Nero%20Burning%20ROM

pulsating_walleye
12-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks! Giving it a try now *crosses fingers*

pulsating_walleye
12-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Dangit. New Problem.

It goes through all the motions of starting linux, then at some point it says

Can't Unmount CD yet...
Can't unmount CD yet...
Cant unmount...please reset

Then the whole thing shuts down.

Any thoughts?

Markus
12-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Try at the prompt Boot:knoppix acpi=off
plus any other cheatcodes you might need. The Docs are down for the moment but have a look here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15433

pulsating_walleye
12-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Alright, I'm at the Knoppix desktop.

Will I be able to get at the files on my HD?

If so, how?

Markus
12-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Click on a harddisk icon on your desktop to open the partition in konqueror. If you want to write on a NTFS partition you need to search this site for captive ntfs.

pulsating_walleye
12-10-2004, 10:52 PM
Big thanks Markus! You (and Knoppix!) have proved to be a real life saver!

Now to reformat my stupid laptop...

Markus
12-10-2004, 10:58 PM
You're welcome.
For rescuing the data you can browse this forum, there's several threads on this in the MS section, also have a look at: http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

BTW, Welcome to linux :D

pulsating_walleye
12-11-2004, 12:02 AM

It was a bit tricky when everything was in German though :|

Markus
12-11-2004, 12:07 AM
It was a bit tricky when everything was in German though What was in german? knoppix? Add lang=us to the cheatcodes.
I hope you downloaded the EN version of the iso instead of the german DE version, even so, the cheatcode should work.

Harry Kuhman
12-11-2004, 12:13 AM
It was a bit tricky when everything was in German though What was in german? knoppix? Add lang=us to the cheatcodes.
I hope you downloaded the EN version of the iso instead of the german DE version, even so, the cheatcode should work.
or lang)us if your system is looking for a German keyboard!