PDA

View Full Version : nvidia grafic accelerator

fabian_wuertz
12-11-2004, 12:11 AM
hi
i have knoppix 3.6 and a geforce graphic card. i want install the nvidia grafic accelerator (like in the games edition of knoppix). i have download the file
"NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run" from the nvdia site. but it doesnt work. what i have to do?
thx fabian

firebyrd10
12-11-2004, 02:17 AM
The knoppix cd is read-only you can't install anything like that.

your_breakfast
12-11-2004, 10:39 AM
what about knoppix-live-inst ? I always load the nvidia drivers on that way, when I want to play tuxracer. :)

firebyrd10
12-11-2004, 06:57 PM
what about knoppix-live-inst ? I always load the nvidia drivers on that way, when I want to play tuxracer. :)

Right I forgot, the is an option to install nvidia drivers from the KNOPPIX menu.

fabian_wuertz
12-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Thank you for this advice. I have try to reinstall knoppix (3.7). So I started Knoppix. I selected in the startmenu knoppix/utilities/install software and install the nvidia drivers. All worked fine. But after the installation of the nvdia drivers the command "knoppix-installer" doesn't work. i get following error message:

/usr/sbin/knoppix-installer: line 428: check_partition_ok: command not found
/usr/sbin/knoppix-installer: line 434: msgbox: command not found
/usr/sbin/knoppix-installer: line 435: menu_part: command not found

Before the installation it works. I also tried the knoppix-game edition and get the same error what i can do?

Fabian

firebyrd10
12-12-2004, 02:59 AM
You have a harddrive install?

Sorry, I thought that you were running off the cd,
Make sure you root and that the X server isn't running. Then try again.
(I've only tested it on a 2.6 kernel it may not work on a 2.4.)

majiren
01-13-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm having the same problem - i install the nvidia drivers with the live cd running. Then go for the install while its working and get those :evil: errors

rrfish72
01-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Seeing that knoppix is close to kanotix try this:

wget http://kanotix.com/files/install-nvidia-6629-debian.sh
chmod +x install-nvidia-6629-debian.sh
./install-nvidia-6629-debian.sh

Cuddles
01-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Seeing that knoppix is close to kanotix try this:

wget http://kanotix.com/files/install-nvidia-6629-debian.sh
chmod +x install-nvidia-6629-debian.sh
./install-nvidia-6629-debian.sh

No promisses here...

Kanotix is "close" to Knoppix, but they arent the same... I tried to use one of Kano's scripts in Knoppix, was a NVidia driver script as well, it failed to work... Kanotix scripts "might" work, but no promisses, or support if they dont...

The way I had to "install" my NVidia drivers, twice, once with Knoppix v3.3 and the second time, with Knoppix v3.4 - was the compile method... Complete Kernel source compile...

Get the Vanilla Kernel Source
Get the Knoppix Kernel "patch" Source
Compile the new kernel - apply the Knoppix "patch"
Get the NVidia driver source, and compile the drivers into the new Kernel - then male the changes in the XF86 file...

You might want to do a Search Knoppix.net for nvidia and see if you can locate that article... If you cant, I can re-post my DOC on the proceedure -=- it was a little scary, but, it was easy to follow, and when I finished, my NVidia was doing marvelous FPS :D

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

majiren
01-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Ok thanks for the replys, I've found that the latest knoppix 3.7 has a lovely little live install script for the nvidia drivers that works perfectly..... until that is you try to hdd install it (you can't if you install them). Also the gamer-knoppix has them on it (automatically as you boot) but again try to install that to the hdd is a nono :cry: .
Luckily the kano script does work after a "normal" hdd install - no kernel messing around or anything :P ...... although you should tweak the XF86Config-4 after,
"
Option "NoLogo" "On"
Option "NvAgp" "1"
Option "RenderAccel" "On"

The "NoLogo" option turns off the nvidia logo. The "NvAgp" option tells it to use the driver's built-in agpgart. "RenderAccel" turns on acceleration.
"
thanks to eco2geek for that.

Now for the damn sound :roll:

Cuddles
01-14-2005, 04:20 PM
majiren,

Here are some more inclusions you can add to that XF86 file, these are in care of Stephen...

XF86Config-4 file, under the same place you changed for your NVidia settings:

Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP, TV"
Option "NoBandWidthTest" "1"

the "ignoredisplaydevices" is used to disable the two "other" output connections on the back of the NVidia card, if you dont plan on using the TV OUT, and the other connector ( if your card has them ), and only plan on using the VGA fifteen pin video plug, then add that line...

I am not quite sure what the "nobandwidthtest" is all about, but, my guess, if I recall correctly, you might want this if you are booting off the CD, or possibly if you are using the other two connections - but, I have had the two "options" in the above, in my XF86 file ever since I got my NVidia up and running, and have never had any problems.

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles