PDA

View Full Version : Please help a newbi at Knoppix.

kimbo
12-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Hi.
Well i am here to ask for help with knoppix. i am a pc tech. have been working on windows for almost 15years, and now i wanna change ater i saw what knoppix is all about and what it can do.
I have a Itell celeron 766, 256ram. 2x 8ogig hhd (the one is partisioned in two 40gig x 40gig) all the partisions is ntfs. all the hadrware works fine when i boot fromn the cd into knoppix.
now i wanna know:
i have a home network .. with two printers, a epron lx 300 dotmatrix (what i use for text) and a hp 3420 deskjet. does knoppix seport them and can i share the printers on the network? the other pc is running windows 2003 web server.
i also have a ISDN USB adapter, windows seees it as NDIS WAN MINI Adapter. does knoppix seport it and how do i set the internet sharing up in 3.7?
that is all for now .. manny thanks
kimbo

chris-harry
12-12-2004, 08:25 AM
you a computer tech! dont computer techs find things out the hard way? Well i dont know, but there is one way to find out.

place the cd into the drive, turn the machine make sure that it boots up the cd (goto bios and change it if it doesnt), and wait for a little while while it loads... then comes the fun... play away, find out if they work... they should...

kimbo
12-12-2004, 08:53 AM
yea well what can i say. i thought i can come here for help ... and now i get this thanks :(

eco2geek
12-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Well, that's one way I learn about Linux, by banging my head against it. :wink:

Anyway, kimbo, yes, looks like there's drivers for both your printers included with CUPS ("Common Unix Printing System"). If they're attached to your Windows box, yes, you can use them over your network.

As to the USB ISDN card, I have no clue, since I don't have one. (Although there is an "NDIS wrapper configuration" choice, and two "ISDN connection" choices on the Knoppix submenu that look promising.)

kimbo
12-12-2004, 04:33 PM
tahnks .. i willl have a look and see what i can do. thanks allot