PDA

View Full Version : How do I run sshd on startup?

cjackson0
12-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Hi. I'm new to the whole linux / Knoppix scene and wanted to know how I can automatically startup a ssh server after booting. I have already successfully installed to my Hard Drive. I'm using Knoppix 3.4 I think.

Thanks a bunch!
CJackson0

Markus
12-11-2004, 09:28 PM
su
update-rc.d ssh defaults

You can remove it with:

update-rc.d -f ssh remove

cjackson0
12-11-2004, 10:26 PM
It worked perfectly. Thanks a bunch!

So what did that do and why?

Markus
12-11-2004, 10:49 PM
update-rc.d is the debian way of managing services and daemons started by the init scripts. defaults sets up services to start and stop at certain points when changing runlevels. For ssh update-rc.d ssh defaults is the same as typing: update-rc.d ssh start 20 2 3 4 5 . stop 20 0 1 6 .
man update-rc.d will give you a better explanation.
ls -l /etc/rc5.d shows you what services are started and stopped and in which order at the graphical runlevel.

arkaine23
12-12-2004, 07:53 AM
You can also manually edit this stuff although update-rc.d is easier.

/etc/rc5.d is the run control directory for run level 5 (graphical boot)
There are shortcuts in there which link to startup scripts usually in /etc/init.d. They are anme beginning with a capitol S or K (s for start and k for kill) folowwed by a two-digit number. The number determines the order in which the scripts are executed, highes number goes last.

You can create new links in this folder with the ln -s command like this.

ln -s /etc/init.d/ssh /etc/rc5.d/S90ssh

other runlevels-

rc2.d is for text mode boot without networking
rc3.d is for text mode boot with networking
rc1.d is single user (maintenance) mode and generally not much is run at this run level
I think 6 is for shutdown, not too sure about 4.

gnarvaja
12-12-2004, 08:05 AM
rc2.d is for text mode boot without networking
rc3.d is for text mode boot with networking
rc1.d is single user (maintenance) mode and generally not much is run at this run level
I think 6 is for shutdown, not too sure about 4.

One of the things I always liked about Linux/Open Source is that it always is about learning. Check the /etc/inittab file for details on what each level does. It contains a lot more information. Check also the man page: man inittab, which will help you iinterpret each line.

If you are not sure what those levels are, just check the directories and a simple ls should reveal what services are started and which ones are stoped upon exit.

Once you learn to read the scripts, it is a very educating exercise.

--GN

cjackson0
12-14-2004, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the help all! I might just be inquisitive enough to try and figure all this out. And then when I wreck it, I'll be re-installing but it'll be a fun ride.

CrashedAgain
12-16-2004, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the help all! I might just be inquisitive enough to try and figure all this out. And then when I wreck it, I'll be re-installing but it'll be a fun ride.

Been there, crashed that. For a good fundamental understanding of Linux, try rute: http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz