PDA

View Full Version : noob qeustion: how to copy files...

bigms
12-12-2004, 02:45 AM
Hello all, i have just finished downloading knoppix, i think 3.2 and i booted from the cd.
i got a black screen with a paint of a cat. this is my first time :)
Any way, all i want is to copy a few files from my c: NTFS drive into my usb storage drive.

well, i guess its pretty easy to do , but i tried a few times with no succeess...
Please , i will appriciate any help.
A step by step explaination will be the best .

thanks!

firebyrd10
12-12-2004, 02:57 AM
First the USB drive cannot be NTFS, is it is you might want to format it to FAT.

Otherwise...

Knoppix automaticly mouts drives as read-only for safty purposes. To change it, right click the USB drive icon (Most likely sda1) go to actions -> change read/write mode.

Now you should be able to copy.
Just be sure to unmount before you remove. Ether shut the computer down or right-click -> unmount (it will say mount if the drive is unmounted)

Harry Kuhman
12-12-2004, 02:59 AM
Hello all, i have just finished downloading knoppix, i think 3.2....
The version number is pretty important here. 3.7 just came out a few days ago. 3.4 and 3.6 were available on most mirrors prior to that, but I wouldn't know where to find 3.2 anymore (although I expect it's out there somewhere). You might have better luck recognizing the USB device with a newer version, so it's pretty important to check that version number (it will be in the name of the iso file you downloaded). It's also very important to check the MD5 sum of what you downloaded, did you do that?

On the other hand, the newer versions of Knoppix are somewhat touchier to boot, they tend to turn on some features that were off by default iin older versions, and this can cause problems during booting. You can try verious combinations of cheat codes to help you boot (sorry, I know of no good way to be sure what cheat codes you need). For a start I would suggest as the boot prompt typing knoppix noscsi acpi=off nodma although the codes you need might be different.

Hope that helps. If not, determine what version you really have when you post back.

bigms
12-12-2004, 03:19 AM
Firebyrd10, i think you didn't understand my situation , i am totally new and all i see looks the same to me like chainese... :(

The interface is minimal and where do i locate that usb drive icon ?

all i see is a black background with a pain of a can at the center and a bar at the bottom center. When i press right click with my mouse i get a menu with a lot of options ( Apps, XShells, internet .... ) this is where i stuck. i have no idea wht to do next.

can you please guide me step by step what to do ?

i was trying to locate my files on the hard disks using : Apps==> Root file manager , but all i saw were weird folders and files.
Although , i saw the cdrom files (which were located at /cdrom).

Something looks like this will hardly help :
1. right click==> apps==> Root file manager==> press that, press this .....
2. bla bla bla

heheh , i feel like a pain in the ass, if so, sorry about that.
thanks for any help!

bigms
12-12-2004, 03:29 AM
Harry Kuhman, i jusr saw your post, well , the first thing i see is :
Knoppix-STD 0.1 : security tools distribution ....
Boot:

When i press F2 i get a windows with a blue background. the titles says :
"Cheatcodes for knoppix v3.2 .... "

so i guess i got knoppix 3.2.
And i have no idea about MD5 , cause i fownloaded a iso file from http://www.knoppix-std.org/

as you said , maybe its all about knoppix vertion... but there must be a way to copy some files in this situation...

CrashedAgain
12-12-2004, 03:46 AM
I don['t think you got a 'normal' knoppix distro
Follow the Get Knoppix link at the top of this page & download KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso (699 Meg) to get the correct file.
Knoppix 3.7 is also out, slightly newer but probably not much changed.

bigms
12-12-2004, 03:52 AM
i have a feeling you are right CrashedAgain.
the knoppix i used is 496mb. anyway i will try 3.6 or 3.7 and will tell you guys my preccess :)

btw, all i want is to hack windows we;come password by the following article :

http://www.g4techtv.com/screensavers/features/664/Dark_Tip_Windows_Password_Hacking.html

you know, in case the password has benn forgotten....

Harry Kuhman
12-12-2004, 04:02 AM
Harry Kuhman, i jusr saw your post, well , the first thing i see is :
Knoppix-STD 0.1 : security tools distribution ....
Boot:

When i press F2 i get a windows with a blue background. the titles says :
"Cheatcodes for knoppix v3.2 .... "

so i guess i got knoppix 3.2.
And i have no idea about MD5 , cause i fownloaded a iso file from http://www.knoppix-std.org/

as you said , maybe its all about knoppix vertion... but there must be a way to copy some files in this situation...

What you have is a special Knoppix derative. STD stands for security tools distribution. the MD5 sum for this iso is posted on the page that you gave me, it is: de03204ea5777d0e5fd6eb97b43034cb. You should really check the md5 of this and any Knoppix iso that you download. There are a lot of tools available under windows that will let you do this. I use the one available from toast442.org, but a quick Google search for md5 will show you many that you can pick from.

This isn't normal Knoppix, lots of stuff has been removed and some special security stuff added. It's been ages since I looked at it, so I don't recall exactly how the desktop is laid out. Yes, I expect you might be able to copy files to your USB device, although this is a pretty old release at this point and I'm not sure if it's new enough to support your USB memory devide. If it does support your USB device and yiu have it plugged into the USB port when you boot, you should see an icon for it on the desktop. You likely already see icons for the herd drive partitions, labeled with names like hda1 (which is your C drive), hda5 (a "logical" partition in an extended partition in Microsoft terms) and maybe hdb1 and hdb5 if you have a second hard drive with 2 partitions on it. If you also see a drive with a name like Hard Disk Partition [sda1], then that's your USB device (note the s rather than the h). You may have to mount it as read/write to write to it, as Knoppix defaults to opening hard drives as readonly and I suspect this is true for the usb device also.

If sda1 isn't there when you boot, then I suspect the Knoppix and Linux that Knoppix-STD is based on is just to old. I would suggest you get a newer distribution, and that you either stick with piure Knoppix (you can find it by following the get Knoppix link near the top of this page, or you might like the somewhat customized version (but still very general purpose) called Kanotix. You can find a link for it (and an awful lot of other Live CD releases) on this website (http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?sort=&showonly=).

Sorry, I have looked around, but I can't locate my copy of STD, so I can't answer questions about that derative any better than I already have.

Harry Kuhman
12-12-2004, 04:08 AM
....btw, all i want is to hack windows we;come password by the following article ......
Oh, Why didn't you say so. Yes, you might be interested in the STD release. You might also be interested in a release called PHLAK (it is on the list here (http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?sort=&showonly=)) and a version called Helix, not yet on the huge list but available here (http://www.e-fense.com/helix/). Have fun. Become dangerous.

bigms
12-12-2004, 06:35 AM
Thank you so much guys! I feel much better now, and i figure out some new things!
Wow thats so cool, i think i start like linux and all this huge area :)
And i am glad i found this forum with sweet pepole and helpful information.

I will try the advices above.
See ya around.

firebyrd10
12-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Firebyrd10, i think you didn't understand my situation , i am totally new and all i see looks the same to me like chainese... :(

The interface is minimal and where do i locate that usb drive icon ?

all i see is a black background with a pain of a can at the center and a bar at the bottom center. When i press right click with my mouse i get a menu with a lot of options ( Apps, XShells, internet .... ) this is where i stuck. i have no idea wht to do next.

can you please guide me step by step what to do ?

i was trying to locate my files on the hard disks using : Apps==> Root file manager , but all i saw were weird folders and files.
Although , i saw the cdrom files (which were located at /cdrom).

Something looks like this will hardly help :
1. right click==> apps==> Root file manager==> press that, press this .....
2. bla bla bla

heheh , i feel like a pain in the ass, if so, sorry about that.
thanks for any help!

oh, I see, I thought you had downloaded normal knoppix. That where my answer came from.

But it looks like you problem was solved.