PDA

View Full Version : Accessing my Hard Drive with Freeduc-CD

matthew629
12-12-2004, 09:36 AM
I have no idea how to access my computers hard drive using the Freeduc-CD. Is there something I'm missing, or does the CD version not have that capability? I'm new to Linux, and I'm just trying it out with the CD version. Help!

CrashedAgain
12-16-2004, 04:50 AM
I have no idea how to access my computers hard drive using the Freeduc-CD. Is there something I'm missing, or does the CD version not have that capability? I'm new to Linux, and I'm just trying it out with the CD version. Help!

I had a Freeduc disk once, in fact it was my starter introduction to Linux. I don't have it any more & I can't remember what it has for browsers etc.

But:

To access your harddrive (probably called /dev/hda1), open a terminal, then type 'sudo mount /dev/hda1' which should mount it as /mnt/hda1. Then use your browser, navigate to /mnt/hda1 & you should be able to read files. It will be mounted read only. Don't try to write to it if it is a ntfs drive (winXP) as linux can only write to these using 'captive ntfs'. If it's a vfat drive (winME & earlier) you can mount it read/write with 'sudo mount -rw /dev/hda1' & it is OK to write to it.