PDA

View Full Version : STANDARDIZE THE KERNEL!!!!!!!!!!

VeeDubb
03-31-2003, 09:32 AM
I can't say it enough. use a standard kernel. Because of the custom kernel, I've spent an entire day, destroying and reinstalling linux trying to get it to work. If he would use a standard kernel I could just download the correct version and be done with it.

Fabianx
03-31-2003, 10:13 AM
I want xfs, we need ptrace-patch, we need 256-byte-patch.

You get xfs-patch per apt-get and all others are included in knoppix :-)

So where is the problem ?

cu

Fabian

eadz
04-01-2003, 01:49 AM
It is more or less a standard kernel. A lot more standard than RedHat or Mandrake or Suse or Debian even I think.

probono
04-01-2003, 05:25 AM
Why really do we need the xfs-patch? KK also says it is needed, but what for? I use ext3...

eadz
04-01-2003, 05:35 AM
Why really do we need the xfs-patch? KK also says it is needed, but what for? I use ext3...

my understanding is that it is included because it was requested by many people. XFS was donated to linux by SGI, and is going to be an official part of Linux 2.6. I think it is probally a very popular filesystem, and becasue Knoppix is used in a rescue environment it needs to support as many filesystems as possable, for example it used to even support the amiga / acorn file systems!

VeeDubb
04-01-2003, 06:05 AM
I would be okay if it was just xfs, because that is available via apt-get, but there is at least one other patch. I would also be okay if the kerel source was available for download and simple to install, like maybe as a debian package. But it's not. I realize that for the experienced, building a custom kernel is very simple. But for those new to linux, it is mind boggelingly complicated. I still can't do it right and I'm on day 2 of trying to build a kernel.

knopper
04-03-2003, 11:42 PM
I would be okay if it was just xfs, because that is available via apt-get, but there is at least one other patch. I would also be okay if the kerel source was available for download and simple to install, like maybe as a debian package. But it's not. I realize that for the experienced, building a custom kernel is very simple. But for those new to linux, it is mind boggelingly complicated. I still can't do it right and I'm on day 2 of trying to build a kernel.

Knoppix uses a standard Kernel, plus the XFS patch.

http://www.kernel.org/
http://www.xfs.org/

Skip XFS, if you don't need it. Because Knoppix can be used as rescue CD, it should contain as many of the stable filesystem drivers as possible. Therefore xfs is present as a module.

The kernel config is present at /usr/src/linux/.config.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper