PDA

View Full Version : want to install knoppix...plz help

JohnT2007
12-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Alright, here is my delima....I think. I have a NTFS 40 Gig Hard Drive, in which I tried to install knoppix to some time ago, using a partition made by partition magic, but then ended up screwing up the enter HD and had to reformat it, so I figured it was too risky to do. Today, I got a 6 Gig, FAT32 HD that I wish to install knoppix to. There is nothing on it, just freshly reformatted.

So i pop in the Knoppix CD, and use the command "sudo knoppix-installer" it starts the hdd install process, then tells me this drive doesn't meet the specifications, that it isnt blank, so it opens up some program called "QTParted" or something. So I format that drive using whatever that was, well that didnt work, so I went back to windows for a couple minutes. I then opened up My Computer, and noticed that the hd was no longer in the list. Yet, when I look here on knoppix, it does show up....

So I tried to install again, and this time it went through, but then said "You do not have the authority" or whatever "to write on this disk", which I read somewhere else it means that the hd needs to be unmounted. So my questions....

1. How do I umount the 6 gig HD?
2. Why isnt it showing up in the My Computer thing anymore?
3. If and when I get it installed to this HD, im not exactly sure how to boot from that HD, would i just do the good old F11 boot menu at startup and choose my second HD?
4. Once on knoppix will I still be able to access files from my other HD (Like my music etc) and same vice versa....
5. There is no 5, thanks in advance though to ANYONE who can help me out!

Drool King
12-15-2004, 08:42 PM
JohnT - I'm also a newb but I will try my best to help you.

1. How do I umount the 6 gig HD? - Is this Mount or Unmount?

2. Why isnt it showing up in the My Computer thing anymore? - It is not showing because it most probably have the ext3 (linux format)

3. If and when I get it installed to this HD, im not exactly sure how to boot from that HD, would i just do the good old F11 boot menu at startup and choose my second HD? - When you're installing, you'll have the option of dual booting (if you have windows)
4. Once on knoppix will I still be able to access files from my other HD (Like my music etc) and same vice versa.... - you have to mount the other harddisk (windows) once you've installed/run Linux

5. There is no 5, thanks in advance though to ANYONE who can help me out! - You're welcome.