PDA

View Full Version : remote desktop

nuklear
12-12-2004, 11:14 PM
I've looked all throught the past threads and cant find the answer to my question.

I downloaded RealVNC for linux. I extracted, then ran vncserver in terminal. It asks for a password, but i cant type anything, i press enter and it says password too short, try again.

Any ideas? This prob has been bothering me for a while. I want to run the server on knoppix, so i can view it from my windows comp. I can setup an ftp on my windows system, but i want to be able to run commands n stuff without having to go over to my linux box. Tryin to learn linux btw.

Thx!

A. Jorge Garcia
12-13-2004, 03:05 AM
I gave up on VNC. Why not use ssh, sftp, fish, etc?

Regards,
AJG

eco2geek
12-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Since Knoppix comes with the NX Server, why not use that? You can download (http://www.nomachine.com/download.php) a free NX client for Windows.

shah
12-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Yes....go for NX.

:D

A. Jorge Garcia
12-14-2004, 04:27 AM
You all have had success with NX and VNC?

Regards,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
01-31-2005, 05:33 AM
I never had much success with VNC.

I recently tried NX on my knoppix-installered LAN (V3.7) and it seems to be working great! One question: is there a way for my students to see my desktop and what I'm doing on it if I want - ie: control their desktops from mine? That way I don't need to set up a PC viewer/projector all the time....

How about vis-a-versa? In other words, can I link to a student's desktop remotely and see what they're doing?

TIA,
AJG

adamherb
01-31-2005, 10:27 PM
How do you start an NX server from knoppix. I have a hardrive install, if that makes a differnece/ I see that there is an NX client installed, but not the server. Whats up? Am i just looking in the wrong place.

A. Jorge Garcia
02-01-2005, 02:40 AM
Yup, you have to look in two different places. Set up the nxclient you found (<K><internet>) on the client, of course. Then set up the server with <KNOPPIX><SERVICES><START><NXSERVER>. Then go back to the client and fire up nxclient!

HTH,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
02-03-2005, 04:31 AM
One thing I find annoying, however, about the nxclient is that it saves the last userid and passwd that was used! Is there some way to disable this?

Regards,
AJG