PDA

View Full Version : best wireless support.

pureone
12-12-2004, 11:25 PM
what linux varient (live or install) has the best wireless support.

OErjan
12-13-2004, 07:30 PM
it is not much diference, as most share same kernel (where hardwaresupport is). but some have patched ...
try several and see for yourself. knoppix, kanotix, Debian, Slackware, Fedora, Suse, Mandrake... all work, and all alow you to tinker yourself (fedora, suse and mdk might complin but...)

pureone
12-14-2004, 06:06 AM
how often does a new kernel come out?

KanotixUser
12-14-2004, 06:51 AM
Kanotix

Im biased, but it is still the best
www.kanotix.com

Live or installed

OErjan
12-14-2004, 06:20 PM
fairly often, since this time last year there have been 9 new kernel releases of the stable kind.

check at http://www.kernel.org/ for more information, and check out the latest new kernel at (2.6.9 just now)
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/

pureone
12-15-2004, 12:05 AM
ok thanks for all your infomation.

i havent ever really looked much into the kernel but lately i have been reading up on it.

i have tryed both kernels 2.4 and 2.6 on a range of varients of live cds.

i have tryed installing suse 9.1 pro and it didnt even seem to know about wireless tho it did actuly find my card. i tryed to find the wireless tools for suse but with no luck all the links were dead.

so i dont think ill ever go back to suse again.

i think next i will try red hat and then debian.

i will also try kanotix as well.

thanks for the infomation.

pureone
12-15-2004, 10:08 AM
lol kanotixuser i tryed kanotix its very nice but it hasnt got as much wireless support as knoppix. so far knoppix has been the best for me anyway.

i think i need to find a wireless card that gets picked up by knoppix or anyother linux varient for that matter with out having to run ndiswrapper.

after going over kanotix much more (with help of the users of the irc kanotix channel.

i have found kanotix to be just above knoppix when it comes to wireless. there is a extra wireless feature built in. in the kcontrol center. tho this didnt help me in anyway its still a extra add on.

subarus
12-18-2004, 01:54 AM
what linux varient (live or install) has the best wireless support.

Only Knoppix works with Centrino. Dunno about kanotic. Slax, morphix, freeduc, feather does not have centrino driver. DSL the driver but needs firmware to be loaded separatedly to work. I have been using DSL on centrino for awhile, stable as rock.