PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive install

kamal
12-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Hey could someone tell me everything i need to install knoppix on my hard drive?
i have a 80 gig
explain the things i would need like how to partition and how to get it to ask me when i boot
which os i wana use windows or knoppix help would be greatly appreciated.

if i left anthing out that you think i would also need help on feel free to add that in

kamal
12-13-2004, 09:03 PM
anyone?

firebyrd10
12-13-2004, 10:03 PM
First things first,

You need to partition the hardrive,
making sure all drives are unmounted (knoppix boots with unmounted) open up a consol and type

sudo qtparted

click your harddrive and wait.

Now, if there is already a partition you might need to resize. Right click it and click resize.
Click OK then go up to the menus and click commit.

Now that your done, or if there were no other partitions, right-click the free-space and click creat, your going to want to creat a ext3 partition that is atleast 3 gigs (more is better) with some left over. Now for the leftovers creat a swap partition, (shouldn't need to be more then 400 if you have 512 or 256 RAM).

Click commit again and close the window when done.

Back at the consol type

sudo knoppix-installer

and follow the instructions. Knoppix will install and put a bootloader in that will let you chose the OS.

kamal
12-14-2004, 04:58 AM
what would i put these commands into?

the sudo qtparted?

what prog do i use?

im a noob i need more info

firebyrd10
12-14-2004, 05:06 AM
what would i put these commands into?

the sudo qtparted?

what prog do i use?

im a noob i need more info

When you start knoppix you should see a picture of a black program window near the bottom right.
Thats Konsole, a Command line program.

sudo qtparted is acually two programs
sudo temporarily makes you root (administrator in windows) It can make you other users but thats not important right now.

qtparted is a partitioning program.

So you giving a partitioning program root privillages so it can access the drives.

All the bold commands go into konsole.

kamal
12-14-2004, 05:27 AM
ok i have a 80 gig hard drive right now it has no partitions
how would i go about making the partitions i need for knoppix?

abd_bela
12-14-2004, 08:07 AM
Hi,
I haven't tried the new release ( 3.7) , but I think the installation is the same as the previous.
You only to need to run the command knoppix-installer as a root
or use the Ctrl+alt+F1 to get the text login ( whithout graphical interface),
This suppose that you have a least a free partition for installing
I am using the knoppix 3.6 and completed with the debian package , it 's running very fine
best regards
bela

abd_bela
12-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi,
I've just download the last knoppix (3.7), I tried to use the same way as with 3.6
to install it on HD. But it failed at reboot with following errors:

can't find ext3 on dev ....
cat't find vfat on dev .... ( no vfat partition in my HD)

kernel panic...

I rebooted with rescue RedHat 9.0 ( I don't know how to do it with debian ) , after mount and chroot to /dev/hda1 ( the root is here) I could run correctly the graphical interface. So the installation is complete, but the master boot was n't installed correctly ???

best regards
bela

firebyrd10
12-14-2004, 11:48 PM
ok i have a 80 gig hard drive right now it has no partitions
how would i go about making the partitions i need for knoppix?

Open qtparted useing the commands I gave before and right-click the free space and go to creat partition.

Change the filesystem type to swap (probably says ext3 when you first open the dialog box) next tick the option that says "creat at the end of free space"
Last, change the partition size to about 200 megs.
Click ok then go up to the menu and click commit.

After thats done right click the free space again and click creat partition.
Make sure the filesystem type is set to ext3 and click ok.

Go up and click commit again and then close the window and run the installer.

abd_bela, I have no idea how to help you. Sorry

kamal
12-16-2004, 02:06 AM
only 200 megs?

i thought it was more or is that something else?

im still confused

firebyrd10
12-16-2004, 02:58 AM
only 200 megs?

i thought it was more or is that something else?

im still confused

The swap is like virtual RAM. If you have alot of real ram you don't need alot of swap.

rail_man
12-16-2004, 02:59 AM
Do you lose what is on the HD if you partition free space as said above?? I have XP and wish to install Knoppix. My questions are identical to kamal's, any help would be appreciated.

compshrink
12-16-2004, 04:26 AM
If you have windows, and have not done any partitioning yet, you don't have "free space," aka unpartitioned space, on your hard drive. What you have unused space in your windows partion. You need to use something to shrink the windows partition.

If it's NTFS, be careful what you use. I have used bootitng (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html) to resize a windows NTFS partition without any data loss, but as always it's suggested you back up your data first.

If you already have true "fre space" (unpartitioned space) then there's no data there (unless you have special recovery software...) so no, you don't lose any data that you currently have. Knoppix can auto-partition "free space" assuming you give it at least around 5 gb, though I'd suggest 10 gb or more. Assuming there's no unusual problem, you should also be able to select your old OS to boot into also every time you restart.

kamal
12-17-2004, 04:22 AM
so....

firebyrd10
12-17-2004, 08:54 PM
Those there is always a chance that data can be destroyed (with anything that changes the drive) i've never had a failed case with qtparted.

So yes, its safe.

rrfish72
12-18-2004, 03:43 AM
Download Mandrake 10.1 community iso1 and run that. In there is a expert partitioning tool that can be use to resize without destruction of your windows system. Once you do the partition resizing then it will go to packages that you want installed with choices. There I turn the conputer off there and there you go, a new small partition. I have done it three times to windows partitions with nothing bad happening, except for what i did myself, http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15649&highlight=, but that was not part of the resizing, that was part of a botched install. The only way I foud out that it works like that is try it. I backed up everything and crossed my fingers the first time. Now I know that it works good. Windows will run a filesystem check at boot a few times but that was it. Go to your defrag utility and check to see where your files are in your partition. Then start defraging. I did it four time before I got everything to the front of the partition with alot of room.
Once it created a partition on both sides of it because I didn't do it enough. Like compressing it together and something come out both sides. But it still worked. I ended up with two more partitions instead of one.
Hope this helps. You can get that here: http://iso.linuxquestions.org/version.php?version=71

firebyrd10
12-18-2004, 05:00 AM
Download Mandrake 10.1 community iso1 and run that. In there is a expert partitioning tool that can be use to resize without destruction of your windows system. Once you do the partition resizing then it will go to packages that you want installed with choices. There I turn the conputer off there and there you go, a new small partition. I have done it three times to windows partitions with nothing bad happening, except for what i did myself, http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15649&highlight=, but that was not part of the resizing, that was part of a botched install. The only way I foud out that it works like that is try it. I backed up everything and crossed my fingers the first time. Now I know that it works good. Windows will run a filesystem check at boot a few times but that was it. Go to your defrag utility and check to see where your files are in your partition. Then start defraging. I did it four time before I got everything to the front of the partition with alot of room.
Once it created a partition on both sides of it because I didn't do it enough. Like compressing it together and something come out both sides. But it still worked. I ended up with two more partitions instead of one.
Hope this helps. You can get that here: http://iso.linuxquestions.org/version.php?version=71

Well, that seems like alot to download just to resize when qtparted does the job just fine.

rrfish72
12-18-2004, 05:12 AM
Does that do it non destructivly? I would like to know because I would use that instead.

firebyrd10
12-18-2004, 06:07 AM
Does that do it non destructivly? I would like to know because I would use that instead.

Yea, works nicly.

rrfish72
12-18-2004, 07:39 AM
I could have used that and crossed my fingers aye. I will try it in the future.