PDA

View Full Version : Need help on HP Pavilion ZT3000

stoner
12-13-2004, 12:35 PM
I tried just regular boot on Knoppix, as well as Knoppix failsafe, both hang at the same place.

It goes through the hardware detection automation, finds video mouse sound etc etc....then starts X11
And that's where the problems show up. It goes to the grey/black screen with the black X as the cursor. Cursor moves around, but the computer doesn't do anything afterwords. The CD finally spins down and just sits there.

3.8 is the version of Knoppix I am using. I also tried 3.4.

Harry Kuhman
12-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Try the cheat codes knoppix noscsi acpi=off - this is what I need on my HP.

You have version 3.8? You might want to check that number, 3.7 was just posted on the mirrors.

Harry Kuhman
12-13-2004, 12:56 PM
I don't know why you would have responded to the other thread for the zt3000 and nine minutes later start a new thread on the same topic. Please don't do that in the future.

stoner
12-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Er, yeah 3.7.

Anyways, sorry about that. Just frustrated and at work.

I've tried a few different things, such as what someone else posted.

I tried knoppix noscsi acpi=off as well as knoppix noscsi acpi=on with no difference. You think I should possibly try an earlier version such as 3.5, 3.6 or even 3.3 or lower?

Harry Kuhman
12-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Er, yeah 3.7. ......
I tried knoppix noscsi acpi=off as well as knoppix noscsi acpi=on with no difference. You think I should possibly try an earlier version such as 3.5, 3.6 or even 3.3 or lower?
Sorry, the codes I gave you are what worked for me. But I was lucky to come across the right combination of cheat codes, and it took me about 6 months to find the information. I know of no good way to figure out what combination of cheat codes you need to get Knoppix running on any particular computer (assuming that is even the issue).

As to reverting back to a previous version: I would be rather surprised if 3.6 or 3.4 would change things, but you could try. I'm not sure where Knoppix got more agressive and troublesome about booting, I think it was 3.3 but it might have been 3.4. Prior to that change a lot more systems would boot with no cheat codes. So if you could get a copy old enough (3.2 or 3.1), then it would be worth a shot and if it is a cheat code issue then I would expect it would help (but you'll likely still want to resolve things and get a more current system). In any case, you might get extra clues about the problem by trying a different version. And if 3.1 or 3.2 don't boot then I would think that cheat codes might not be the right track (although there's still a chance the right cheat codes could convince it to boot).