PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q - P133 and boot floppy

XPconvert
12-13-2004, 06:40 PM
In a workshop I have an aged Gateway P133 with Pentium 133 and 48MB, which creaks under the strain of Windows 98 and Office 97 - in order to get it to fly I want to Linux it, but it wojavascript:emoticon(':shock:')
Shockedn't boot from floppy - as the WIKI pages are down , how do I set up the boot floopy, or where to download from??

:shock:

Harry Kuhman
12-13-2004, 07:09 PM
In a workshop I have an aged Gateway P133 with Pentium 133 and 48MB, which creaks under the strain of Windows 98 and Office 97 - in order to get it to fly I want to Linux it, but it wojavascript:emoticon(':shock:')
Shockedn't boot from floppy - as the WIKI pages are down , how do I set up the boot floopy, or where to download from??

:shock:
You're not going to find that this system with this much memory is very happy with Knoppix either, in fact I suspect it will do much worse than Win98. Running without the GUI might work OK, but I doubt that is your intention. If you really want to try, get a copy of Smart Boot Manager and either install it to a floppy that you can then use to boot the CD, or just install it to the boot sector on the hard drive and a simple boot menu will show up each time that you boot your computer that will allow you to boot from CD (even though your BIOS doesn't support it). No floppy needed.

OErjan
12-13-2004, 07:44 PM
If you can boot knoppix on another computer you should find a script in the knoppix menu to creat boot floppies. (3.4 and up)
you need two blank floppies for it

Harry Kuhman
12-13-2004, 08:26 PM
If you can boot knoppix on another computer you should find a script in the knoppix menu to creat boot floppies. (3.4 and up)
you need two blank floppies for it
Or you need one floppy (or even no floppies) if you just get Smart Boot Manager and use that, and it will let you boot any bootable CD, not just Knoppix.