PDA

View Full Version : Where does the default /home/knoppix come from in 3.2 ?

Niall
03-31-2003, 02:25 PM
I'm working on remastering Knoppix 3.2 at the moment for the Irish Linux Users Group as a Linuxworld giveaway. Although this is not a new area to me (I'm a contributor to the LNX-BBC project) I'm puzzled as to where the default contents of /home/knoppix come from. I guessed it was /etc/skel but that's not true, as I put a marker file there which didn't end up in /home/knoppix. I've looked in /linuxrc and it doesn't appear to be there, but nor can I find it in any of the /etc/init.d scripts. My turnaround time for a new burn of Knoppix is about 30 minutes, so trial and error is expensive with time, and the show starts tomorrow :-) What blindingly obvious thing am I missing ?

Kindest regards,

Niall O Broin

Stephen
04-01-2003, 04:32 AM
The contents of /home/knoppix on the ISO more than likely came from /etc/skel when the user was created before the master ISO was made. The contents of /home/knoppix on a HD install come from /etc/skel on the cdrom you install from. That is if I read the knx-hdinstall-.038 (starts on line 1341) script file correctly.

ted_munga
04-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Have a look in the miniroot.gz this site will explain where to find it.
http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6902&highlight=#6902

cheers
ted
ps I would love to have a turn around time of 30min mind is about 2.5 hrs
:(

NoPic's
04-01-2003, 09:30 PM
ie. Press F2 to not scan local drives for swap file & home dir.

This means I could add a little entry to the windows network login script to unzip a knoppix.swp file on to every hard drive - 60MB swap fits into 60KB if zipped before use :) - and like wise with knoppix.cfg.

Then when I bring the CD to any PC, I'll have an Irish keyboard and the home page desktop will have shortcuts to all the stuff users expect to see on the network - and most importantly when the next revision comes out - I won't need to customise the CD.

ted_munga
04-25-2003, 03:12 AM
Just for others that may be looking to add or change stuff to the
/home/knoppix/Desktop. The /home/knoppix/ directory is only created
in the miniroot.gz linuxrc file (see previous post sorry :cry: ).

A lot of stuff happens at:
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession

found from:
http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352

ciao
ted