PDA

View Full Version : win doesn't play nice with my knoppix hd install :(

paradox_4
12-14-2004, 06:57 AM
Hello all :)

I just installed knoppix to my system and have been playing around with the sixes of my partitions .. unfotunatly every time I try to partition a d: drive for windows it dissapears .. qtparted says its hidden but I have no idea why its doing that .. sometimes I can use the drive two or three times then it just dissappears... any suggestions would be appreciated. I thought perhaps it has something to do with the mbr .. would it be located mid drive???

lilo to my mbr,
hda1 is a ghost drive
hda2 primary windowsXP - which i oly keep for games
hda3 secondary windowsXp
hda4 for knoppix hd install
hda5 swap

Thank you in advance:)
paradox

CrashedAgain
12-16-2004, 04:39 AM
Hello all :)

I just installed knoppix to my system and have been playing around with the sixes of my partitions ..

Do you mean sexes? I didn't know partitions had gender. Oh you probably mean sizes!

You can select/change the filetype (from hidden to normal) with cfdisk. I once lost my windows drive by having QTparted make it hidden. tokk a while to figure out what was going on but everything recovered OK once I reset to normal vfat instead of hidden vfat.

Toosmoky
12-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Same problem here.

After 6 years of running linux\windows dual boot setups, suddenly they're not playing nicely together...

XP has lost hda2 and hda3 (D: and E:) respectively, although Debian can see everything as normal. I backed up the files to DVD-RW with k3b but I need to know why the partitions in XP are visible but marked as unknown filesystems, so I can prevent it happening again.

Can't understand why hda1 is not corrupting as well. Or hdc3 and 4, also NTFS...

I restored the system and booted between the two for four days before it happened again...

The system has been up and running for 9 months without problems. No viruses or trojans.

All NTFS drives are mounted read-only and I'm not using captive or lufs.

Any ideas?...

--
Toosmoky.
Ride the Penguin...
http://toosmoky.d2.net.au