PDA

View Full Version : Removing Knoppix menus?

dawynn
12-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Confession: I've been distribution-hopping, and I've got myself in a bit of a fix. I was briefly on Knoppix, before switching back to Debian. Now, I would like to get rid of the Knoppix-specific packages and go back to straight Debian (or possibly another .deb-based dist).

For the most part, the Knoppix packages de-install just fine, with one notable and very annoying exception in my case.

If I attempt to remove kde-menu-knoppix, it assumes that I don't want *any* menu entries in KDE. Huh? When I installed this package, it evidently hijacked the menu entries for KDE. It must have taken them from wherever distributions like Debian normally look for them, and placed them in a Knoppix-only location. Upon removal, it *should* put the menu entries back in the standard location, but it doesn't.

If I remove the package, I'm left without my entire KDE menu system (including several customized menu entries). If I then reinstall the package, all my menu entries come back (so I know that they're safely stored *somewhere* on my computer).

How can I remove this distribution-specific package (kde-menu-knoppix), and still keep my menu entries?