PDA

View Full Version : Question After Successful HDD Install!

sakiZ
12-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Yes I did it! I am dual booting Windows XP now with Knoppix 3.6. This is one sweet OS!! I intend to use it for my email and internet access instead of XP.

I used a utility called Bootpart (boot loader) to create an entry in boot.ini an entry so I can boot Knoppix from my 2nd hard drive. This made it SO easy!!! Bootpart automagically creates the entry for you in your boot.ini file!!!!! It is a virtual NO BRAINER!!! This incidently is the utility that the old Corel Linux used when it was still in existence.

When I boot up and Knoppix starts to load, I get a nice Knoppix screen with lots of options, the 2 kernels, and XP, etc.

What I want to know is this: Is there a way to modify this Knoppix boot menu so that I can add "the expert mode" option? I assume there is a file to modify somewhere. Something similar to the lilo file? Or maybe it is the lilo file? I assume this would be easy if I knew where to look.

sakiZ

firebyrd10
12-14-2004, 11:50 PM
Could you post your boot.ini file?

Mabye its in there.

sakiZ
12-15-2004, 02:46 AM
[Boot Loader]
timeout=30
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
C:\BOOTPART\bootsect.lnx="Knoppix"

This is my boot.ini file. So, it's some other place. At least it gives you a sample of what a boot.ini file looks like using the Bootpart utility.

sakiZ

sakiZ
12-15-2004, 09:16 PM
I found out the answer. Very simple.

After I get the nice boot menu, I just press the tab key.

The graphical interface menu changes to a command line boot prompt.

I can type in any "cheat code" or boot option I want.

I LOVE THIS OS!!!

sakiZ

Brian H
12-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Is there any similar utility able to handle W98, W98SE, and WinME?

tigerb
12-16-2004, 05:58 AM
Hi sakiZ, which file system is your XP running on? According to Bootpart web site Bootpart2.5 can only do FAT file system? I am hoping your XP OS is using NTFS as I am very interested in using the Bootpart program so that I won't mess up the "mbr" file should I need to delete/reinstall Knoppix.

Ok, once I downloaded the bootpart zip file, unzip it then what do I do? (how do you install it)? Thanks for your help/feedback.

My situation:
HD#1 2 partitions all in NTFS , 1st partition W2K Pro OS, 2nd partition data files
HD#2 2 partitions, 1st partition FAT32 (empty), 2nd partition NTFS data files

I would like to use HD#2, 1st partition (15G) to install Knoppix V3.6 or V3.7