PDA

View Full Version : md5sum

empro
12-15-2004, 10:02 AM
i downloaded the md5sum.exe program...... then copied it to c:/windows then i clicked went to " start " then " run " and typed md5sum knoppix_v3.7-2004-12-08-en.iso but nothing came out..... am i doing it correct ?

Harry Kuhman
12-15-2004, 02:51 PM
i downloaded the md5sum.exe program...... then copied it to c:/windows then i clicked went to " start " then " run " and typed md5sum knoppix_v3.7-2004-12-08-en.iso but nothing came out..... am i doing it correct ?
There ae a lot of md5 sum programs out there, I'm not really sure which you used.

I had been using the one from toast442.org. If that's the one I don't type in anything, I make sure the radio button is set to calculate an MD% and drag an iso into the window. Or I have the radio button in the check md5 position and drag in an md5 file (unfortunately, you can't just click on the md5 and have the program start and check it) The big problem is that with the version from toast442 you have no indication that the program is really doing anything. It does calculate the md5 sum if you follow the above, but it takes quite a while, with not even so much as a "working" displayed.

There was another md5 sum program posted about on this forum recently. It's available here http://sourceforge.net/projects/md5summer/. I'm now using it and very happy with it, it both can start when you click on an md5 file (once you create the relation) amd it shows progress as it runs.

pureone
12-15-2004, 03:21 PM
if the program your trying to run is a console based program only then this is what you do.

click start, run , type "cmd" (with out the " ") press enter then. run the md5 program.

i use helix for checking the md5 normaly.

make sure you put the program in c:\windows\system32

and then you should be able to cd to any folder and use this program you may have to tell the program were the iso file is.

empro
12-15-2004, 04:15 PM
thanks....... i got the md5sum and i checked it....... it is correct......... a98fba823414dc3d33c5e53f120c0339....... actually this is the 2nd time i downloaded the knoppix v3.7 2004-08-12-en file...... the first time i think the file was fucked up thats why i had boot problems and sound problems.....