PDA

View Full Version : HD install on a small HD (1.4Gb)

le_random
12-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Sorry if this information is in another post, but the Documentation link isn't working, and I'm too lazy to trawl...

Although I'm not a complete newbie to linux (I can cope with using a shell...) how might I install Knoppix on the HD of my ageing laptop? It runs OK from the CD, and the X server runs ok - so I know it does work.

The beast (!) is an old Compaq Armada 1530:
48Mb RAM, and a 1.4Gb HDD.
(Pentium MMX for those interested)

I have tried using knoppix-install, but it demands 2Gb!!! (Some of us still live in a land where 512Mb was the HDD size, and RAM was counted in kilobytes, those were the days...)

Are there any params I can pass to knoppix-install to persuade it not to install everything (I can do without fancy Windowmanagers and the like, although a functional office suite would be nice)

Many thanks for any help!

Edit: I suspect a poor man's install is what is needed, but as I said earlier, the Documentation server is out of action....

CrashedAgain
12-16-2004, 11:23 PM
A poorman's install is easy to do; you need about 750 Meg (one Cd size) of free space then just boot your knoppix disk with bootcode 'knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1'. Then to start your tohd install boot with bootcode 'knoppix fromhd=scan'. You can also set up lilo on your HD to boot without the CD but that is a bit more complex & should wait until the docs are back up.

brianfay
12-18-2004, 05:57 PM
I have a similar issue. I was just given an older ThinkPad and want to install Knoppix. It's hard drive is just under 2GB and the installer won't let me go forward with the install. Is there a way to pick and choose some of the application and get past the installer warning? I tried the suggested IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer but it brings up a list of what it's going to do (I think) and then when I click next, I get back to a blank prompt. Weird.

I know that I can do a poor-man's install (and I've done that) but it's just too darn slow. Any suggestions? I've also tried VectorLinux and Slackware installs, but they both are choking and not functional. Knoppix works both from the cd and the poor man's install. I just want to do a full install. Any thoughts?