PDA

View Full Version : Lucent Winmodem For A Hdd Install I Did

\/\/inblowz
12-15-2004, 09:49 PM
Ok im new to linux and dont understand alot of the terminology yet. i have installed Knoppix to my hdd and found out i have the misfortune of being a lucent winmodem owner.

ive read the article about it lucent winmodems working with knoppix but im still a noob and would like it explained in complete idiot terms for now if thats ok.

CrashedAgain
12-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Ok im new to linux and dont understand alot of the terminology yet. i have installed Knoppix to my hdd and found out i have the misfortune of being a lucent winmodem owner.

ive read the article about it lucent winmodems working with knoppix but im still a noob and would like it explained in complete idiot terms for now if thats ok.

A winmodem is sort of an incomplete modem, instead of having the processing of the signal done by circuitry in the modem it uses the CRU to do the processing. Thus it has less hardware & is cheaper but it needs programming for the CPU which is provided by the manufacturers only for windows.

Most lucent winmodems are supported by the package ltmodem which can only be installed to a HD install. Kanotix (a knoppix spinoff) has ltmodem built in, I would suggest downloading kanotix & trying it to see if your winmodem is supported by ltmodem first. The command in kanotix to set up the modem is 'detect-modem.sh'.

\/\/inblowz
12-17-2004, 08:53 PM
cool thanks. ive got the ltmodem drivers, but i am unfamiliar with running the build module and ltinst2 cmds under root as i installed it as just a copy from the cd and not a multi user setup so im not sure how to login as root to run the cmds.

CrashedAgain
12-18-2004, 05:36 AM
.... i installed it as just a copy from the cd ......

Do you mean you have just 'installed' by copying the CD to HD and are running it from HD as if from CD (ie what is known as a 'poormans' install'? If so, you will not be able to install the ltmodem because the Knoppix system is still contained within a compressed file system as it is when on Cd so you cannot make changes to it. With this type of system you can only install what is available from klik. There was mention of ltmodem support for live CD here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12119&highlight=ltmodem but it appears complex, looks like the ltmodem will have to be sort of reinstalled with each boot.

So, if you are running from live CD or poormans install, it appears switching to kanotix may be the best solution.

If you have done a full HD install, see this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=70396

PS: You can become root (with any type install) by typing 'su' in a terminal console.

probono
12-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Kanotix has the script detect-ltmodem.sh which seems to do the job easily (didn't test it though since I don't have the hardware).

Greetings,
probono