PDA

View Full Version : after knoppix-installer in 3.7

A. Jorge Garcia
12-16-2004, 04:06 AM
Have you noticed that you can't login as root anymore from the login screen after a hdd install? Right after knoppix-installer terminates, I usually reboot without the liveCD and edit /etc/lilo.conf and run to set up a dual boot, run netcardconfig and update-rc.d ssh defaults as root. In 3.6 you login via the KDM screen (GUI) and run kate to edit lilo.conf and then open a shell to run netcardconfig and update. Now I have to login on a console screen as root and startx to do the same thing. root isn't even listed as a user anymore on the KDM login! Why is that?

Regards,
AJG

rrfish72
12-16-2004, 04:52 AM
I just had that problem and this is how I fixed it: edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc AllowRootLogin=false to true. I could not login at the login screen anymore because the root option was not there, now it is again.

dutchbrown
12-16-2004, 05:55 PM
My knoppix 3.7 just boots directly to the desktop in knoppix-user mode. If I need any root privilages then I am usually prompted for root password in order to continue. Is this situation ok or should I be seeing a login screen when my system boots?

rrfish72
12-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Did you do a knoppix-style install? If you did then that is what is going to happen.

dutchbrown
12-16-2004, 10:55 PM
yes I did a knoppix style install. Is there still a way to have a login screen for root and users??

rrfish72
12-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Knoppix-style is set up to run just like from the live cd, so there will not be any login screen to log into anywhere. I'm not sure if it is possible to create more users with this type of install.

sakiZ
12-18-2004, 02:41 AM
I just had that problem and this is how I fixed it: edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc AllowRootLogin=false to true. I could not login at the login screen anymore because the root option was not there, now it is again.

Ok, I just installed 3.7 , up from 3.6. I would like the root option back.

But how do I edit the kdmrc file if I am in user mode and don't have write privilages to the file? And can only get them if I am in 'root'. Catch 22. :-)

I found the file, even edited it and saved the changed file to the home directory. But I can't save the file back to the original kdm directory.

I'm sure this is easy for experienced Linux people but I'm new at this.

sakiZ

rrfish72
12-18-2004, 02:52 AM
You have to find the root terminal i the K menu. I think it is system. Once you get there and click on it it will ask for the root password and then you can edit anything you want.

sakiZ
12-18-2004, 03:23 AM
Ok, so you edit it from the root terminal

Thanks,

sakiZ

rrfish72
12-18-2004, 03:33 AM
just do kate kdmrc once you get to the correct directory.

javeriano01
12-24-2004, 09:37 AM
Hello Everyone

My question is regarding the edit of /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, perfect I see the file and I know It can't be saved on the BOOT from CD Option because the RAMDrive can't be modified so how can I make the OS look for my version of this file I mean I've already run the HOME SETTINGS WIZZARD on my USB Flash drive but I wouldn't know where to put it or how to make knoppix look for it when it it booting

I'd really appreciate your help, I love this OS but I admit I'm having trouble getting root access (damn login option)

Thanks

dutchbrown
12-24-2004, 03:59 PM
:( I got feed up with 3.7 and switched back to 3.6 The 3.7 wouldn't find my USB mouse half the time when it booted. Sometimes when it booted I would get a ton of vertical lines all over my screen. THere were a couple other things that drove me crazy too so I just switched back to 3.6 and all is well. I think that 3.7 is just a little buggy yet.