PDA

View Full Version : Apt-get repository for knoppix packages

mrjohnston
03-31-2003, 05:52 PM
Hello,
I was thinking of either using knoppix to install to my hard drive or just installing the testing version of debian. My question is, can one do a normal installation of debian, or knoppix for that matter, and use a repository to upgrade and keep current on all the knoppix packages? It seems to move forward quicker, which is something that bugs me about debian even though I understand why. Does a repository exist or is it in the making so people can use debian (understanding some instability) and be current with most software. I appreciate any help.
mrjohnston

Stephen
03-31-2003, 09:14 PM
When you install Knoppix on the HD it becomes the testing/unstable version of Debian. You can then access the software repository with apt-get to stay up to date on the latest package changes.

teamonkey
03-31-2003, 11:55 PM
It would be useful, however, for those of us with older versions of Knoppix.

For example, the latest version of Branden's experimental XFree86 debs is 4.2.1-6. Knoppix 3.2 has XFree86 4.3.0, doesn't it? It'd be nice to get my hands on the new XFree86 packages, without having to download a whole new ISO image and copy them across manually. An apt source would be wonderful.